Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Chevrolet B-Series
Engine: 366 V-8
Shower wall material

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a budget-friendly yet aesthetically acceptable shower wall material. I was originally going to do cultured marble but all the local stores say that no one carries it anymore. This seemed odd because the contractors who redid my brother's apartment shower two years ago used cultured marble, which I like the look of, and it seemed pretty easy to install. I'm considering fiberglass and acrylic at this point but wondering what other materials are out there?

Thanks!

paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Cultured marble has been replaced by real marble. Both are too heavy for a bus and that’s coming from someone with a tile bathroom.

The budget friendly option is Reinforced Fiberglass Paneling (RFP). You can get it at the big box hardware store. You can also get custom printed with whatever you want, though I’m sure that’s expensive.

I haven’t done this for a shower, but could also use a product called Stone Coat epoxy to make faux marble plywood. If you go this route, the panels need to be carefully dry fit and disassembled so the epoxy can be applied flat. It needs to be done in a dust-free place and your panels need to be perfectly level.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
We've been struggling to come up with a bathroom wall solution too. Here's one idea that we're kicking around, mostly because it's fun: aluminum sheet, painted National School Bus Glossy Yellow, with big dish shower taps that resemble headlights and various decals and maybe a painted rub rail or two. Maybe a stop sign as well? And a route number plaque on the outside that you can change between route #1 and #2 (our shower and toilet share the same space). It sounds like you're looking for a classier option, but I figured I'd throw this out there anyway
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Friend of mine made his shower out of plywood.
Then he had Line-X come out and they sprayed in bedliner.
No joints or seams to seal with goopy silicone, ever.
Smooth on walls and ceiling, textured on floor.
Normal thickness for bedliners.
Remains flexible.
Any color you want.
Cheaper if yo drive the bus to their location.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
The two plywood side walls and the rear wall of the shower are covered by FRP that's glued on with Roberts 6700 floor adhesive, then I used Armstrong self-stick vinyl floor tiles to make it look nice: they're stuck on with Weldwood contact adhesive. I also used the same tiles on the stainless shower pan. Because the FRP is inside the shower pan's sides, there's no possibility of any leaks anywhere. So far, so good.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:58 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I framed my shower with Unistrut and used plywood with FRP glued to it for the sides. I used a 32" x 32" off the shelf shower pan. I used silicone caulk to seal it all up. The plumbing is mounted to steel pieces and Unistrut. See the pictures attached:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7299.jpg   DSC_7309.jpg   DSC_7308.jpg  
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
I like the shower head placement!
Way up high! , there must be a lot of short plumbers out there and they specialize in motels and hotels.

Also, good idea not in center and aimed away from the door or curtain.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
We've been struggling to come up with a bathroom wall solution too. Here's one idea that we're kicking around, mostly because it's fun: aluminum sheet, painted National School Bus Glossy Yellow, with big dish shower taps that resemble headlights and various decals and maybe a painted rub rail or two. Maybe a stop sign as well? And a route number plaque on the outside that you can change between route #1 and #2 (our shower and toilet share the same space). It sounds like you're looking for a classier option, but I figured I'd throw this out there anyway
I can't wait to see your finished shower!

I feel that I've had relatively few design constraints in my bus or have been able to reasonably work around most of them but this shower is driving me nuts. Try finding a 36 x 30 shower pan (in the first place) with an offset drain ('cause a center drain runs into a cross member).

Looks like I'll be going reinforced fiberglass for the walls. I don't remember the cultured marble they put in my brother's bathroom being that heavy. I think it was pretty thin. Oh well, if I can't even source the stuff.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddywagon View Post

I feel that I've had relatively few design constraints in my bus or have been able to reasonably work around most of them but this shower is driving me nuts. Try finding a 36 x 30 shower pan (in the first place) with an offset drain ('cause a center drain runs into a cross member).

Don't waste your time and effort trying to find a ready-made shower pan that probably won't be the exact size you need anyway! Just have a shower pan made by a sheet-metal or HVAC fabricator, then you can put the drain exactly where it's best for you. Besides, a stainless steel pan with welded corners and a welded drain spigot will be more durable and reliable than any flimsy plastic pan. Before I installed mine I ground about an inch off the wooden floor at the drain end so the pan would sit at a slight angle, then the water would still drain even if the bus were parked up to one foot lower at the back.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:

Looks like I'll be going reinforced fiberglass for the walls. I don't remember the cultured marble they put in my brother's bathroom being that heavy. I think it was pretty thin. Oh well, if I can't even source the stuff.
There is shower pan material made of plastic cement coated XPS foam. It’s sold by Schluter and HydroBlock and some others. It can be cut to size. There’s drain kits for it too. I like the idea of using two linear drains so that no mater which way the bus leans it will drain
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
I did a plywood shower pan (so I could give it good slopes). Redguard on the bottom, and fiberglass over the top. Then I poured resin in three coats.

A huge amount of work but got the exact shape and form I needed for the spot.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:06 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Don't waste your time and effort trying to find a ready-made shower pan that probably won't be the exact size you need anyway! Just have a shower pan made by a sheet-metal or HVAC fabricator, then you can put the drain exactly where it's best for you. Besides, a stainless steel pan with welded corners and a welded drain spigot will be more durable and reliable than any flimsy plastic pan. Before I installed mine I ground about an inch off the wooden floor at the drain end so the pan would sit at a slight angle, then the water would still drain even if the bus were parked up to one foot lower at the back.

John
That sounds like a great option but could get pricey. I talked to a local fabricator a while ago about a stainless countertop and he said it would be cost-prohibitive. I may look into it again.

One thing is for sure: tile in a bus seems like a horrible idea. I hope it's worked well for those who have used it but there's no way it's finding it's way into my rig.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
Someone just did this on his bus in the shuttle bus forum or short bus forum on Facebook. It looks great.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:

I got super lucky with my build. I was able to buy an off the shelf 32x32 shower pan with a center drain that does not hit anything important underneath.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas MPV
Engine: Cummins 6BTAA
Rated Cap: 84
shower material

I used plywood for walls a fiberglass shower pan then floor lino in tile look alike. Used floor lino glue still looks like new 8 years later. I used the same concept in my house bath tub to convert for shower I took it apart 15 years later and there was no rot on the drywall at all. It works well in the bus because it can tweak if needed.
powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
That sounds like a great option but could get pricey. I talked to a local fabricator a while ago about a stainless countertop and he said it would be cost-prohibitive. I may look into it again.

One thing is for sure: tile in a bus seems like a horrible idea. I hope it's worked well for those who have used it but there's no way it's finding it's way into my rig.

Stainless sink/kitchen fabricators are high priced because the sell mostly commercial kitchen stuff that has to meet health inspectors codes, blah, blah, blah. Try a HVAC or plumbing contractor like the man said. They have to have drain pans built all the time. They can do it or tell you who can.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:00 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
...a center drain runs into a cross member...
Could you set the pan on a raised floor so the plumbing heads away from a cross-member?
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:19 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
1993 or so, we converted a 30' retired military-office semi-trailer into a RecreationVehicle.
For our shower, we acquired a mop-basin, the type used in restaurants to empty mop-buckets.
About two-foot on each side, the sides are probably twelve inches tall.
I built a frame for the surrounds, then enclosed the shower with galvanized wavy roofing.
It was the talk of the town.
I realize two feet on a side sounds constrictive.
Testing the contraption as I stood in it prior to finalizing the framing, I thought so, too.
So... I angled my walls -- coned them in an inverted pyramid -- so the elbow-height was about three feet to a side.
Years go by.
After dragging our THOW all over tarnation, we sold the trailer to a concrete company to use as an office.
They had no use for a shower, so I dismantled it for them.
Still have my mop-basin.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #19

Year: 1988
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 26000 GVWR
I’m probably a little late to the thread and I’ll admit this is only my 2nd ever post, but I wanted to share what I came up with for my shower. I repurposed the steel ceiling panels as the shower walls and I think it has turned out quite well!

By the time I got to this stage of my build, I had switched over to budget mode. The plumbing, electrical, and structural components of the build were done and I was trying like some of y’all to figure out a cheap and aesthetically pleasing way to do the shower. I kept a few of the original bus interior parts such as the cable trays that run the length of the interior as throwbacks to what once was. So I decided to use the ceiling panels as the shower walls since it would match parts of the interior anyway.

1/2” plywood backing and liquid nails to hold up the steel sheets. I used silicone caulk under each seam and then i covered the corners with pvc molding. I’ve been living full time in the bus for 10 months and have had no issues with water leaks and the original paint has held up extremely well. I’ve had no issues with cleaning it either. Hope this might inspire some creativity in the community!
John Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I bought a premade 32" shower stall. To keep the claustrophobic effect to a minimum I had a wrap made of a tropical beach scene to cover the 3 walls.