Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Have you ever stuck your nose next to the exterior vent with a toilet full of piss? I assure you, it smells like piss. I have the same toilet, same basic venting configuration (I vent out the side with a mushroom shaped RV vent, and upgraded the stock fan for more air flow). With 2 gallons of urine in the tank, the area immediately next to the vent smells like urine. Especially so on hot, muggy summer days. There's no way it can't ... it's designed to blow air over a bucket of urine. That being said, I never get any sewage or feces type smells, but I HAVE definitely noticed a distinct urine odor every now and then. My solution was to cut a 1.5" hole in the bottom of the Nature's Head urine unit itself, install a 1/2" bulkhead in the bottom of the urine reservoir, a drain line, a quick disconnect, a shutoff valve, and then I plumbed the hose to the back of the bus. When I'm on the highway I can pull over, walk outside, open the valve, drain the piss, and close the valve again. As long as the urine reservoir isn't near full the smell is barely noticeable. Added bonus, I never have to manually walk a 2 gallon open top jug of urine into the woods. That stuff absolutely REEKS, especially if it sits a week, and especially if you have a few dehydrated, partying guests using the commode. Plumbing the drain was the single best decision I made with that toilet, and the parts I modified are cheap enough to replace and not attached to the main unit itself except for 3 short phillips screws. I'm all for composting toilets and think they're a much better option when compared to the maintenance and emptying of black water and gray water tanks ... but to say they don't smell at all, in my opinion, is false.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
If you use a urine diverter and drop the urine into a gray tank, it is a total non-issue.

The ONLY time a composting toilet stinks is if you are mixing liquids and solids (or that odd case of the "Ragin Cajuns" and let's face it - ANY toilet stinks then!).

If you use a proper compost toilet (with the solids separated) and a small vent fan, your nose will never know what is in the bucket.
CE42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Warewolff, if you're willing to let your bus take a leak at the side of the road on your behalf (or at an unoccupied scenic overlook, or whatever) why not install an electrically actuated valve and dispose of the contents on half-a-mile of highway?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Thought about putting the valve access on the inside but I had limited space. I boondock in the sticks a lot so bothering anyone with a gallon of urine is a nonissue.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Warewolff, if you're willing to let your bus take a leak at the side of the road on your behalf (or at an unoccupied scenic overlook, or whatever) why not install an electrically actuated valve and dispose of the contents on half-a-mile of highway?

AutoZone sells windshield washer pumps for cheap... in case tailgaters bother you...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Dude .. I love it. Hey, knock it all you want but a urine drain valve with a composting toilet is HIGHLY efficient if you drain in rural areas.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
It is vented through the floor. Small vent hose. Attachment 22486
I know this is an older thread but, @Dog Rescuer if you're still around have you noticed any smells or problems with the NH toilet venting through the floor?

I'm just about to install our vent, before finishing the bathroom walls, and it would land much neater if I route it out through the floor instead of the ceiling.
I'm worried about the the smell venting out the bottom, then drafting back up towards the windows or something - instead of just going right out of the top of the bus.

As mentioned - aesthetically it will look better if I vent through the floor or wall, but worried about smells.

Thanks for the input!!
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote