Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Spin Dryers

I realize these compact washer/dryers just spin dry without heat. Has anyone here used one? If so, how do they work?
Attached Thumbnails
washer:dryer.png  

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I realize these compact washer/dryers just spin dry without heat. Has anyone here used one? If so, how do they work?
https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-washer-r...omplete-guide/

From what I can gather off of a quick tech search, it seems like if its not heated then its a very slow going process. it pulls the dryer ambient air from your RV living space, it passes through the drum and the cloths, then gets exhausted out of a vent.

and if its a ventless, it just collects/condenses the moisture and expels it through a drain.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 AM   #3

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: t444e
My wife and I have lived in a townhouse for 2 years without a washer or dryer. I started out using a Wonder Wash from the laundry alternative, and this spin dryer. Nina Soft Spin Dryer - The Laundry Alternative

I love this setup, and it's coming on the bus with us. The dryer gets the clothes from "I just dropped my towel in the pool" to "These could use about 10 minutes on low in a heated dryer". I'd then line dry them for an hour or 24 depending on my schedule.

You have to be careful with loading, if it's off balance, it's going to jump around on the floor.

I still have and use both for delicates, or stain treatment. We did switch to using the coin-op machines down the street though. My wife hated the drying lines being inside in the winter.
cameronhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Moi
Engine: 444e...7.3L
Rated Cap: 36
I have a panda.
Got it off amazon. It works great. The spinner gets the clothes so they are barely damp. You have to be careful with the soap. A pop cap full is enough. If you use a regular amount you will be rinsing your clothes cause the soap will burn you...lol Ask me how I know....anyways it washes 5 shirts or 2 pants at a time.
rock649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Skoolie

Not an owner, but I have used one in camp before. I think it was called a Costway? The owner ordered it on Amazon. They do as good of a job spin drying as can be expected. You will finish it off line drying.

Not quite a tumble dryer arrangement, but for space efficient, hard to beat... Of course my wife would kill one in a week.
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post

Not quite a tumble dryer arrangement, but for space efficient, hard to beat... Of course my wife would kill one in a week.
My wife would kill ME in a week, if I made comments like that

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
My wife would kill ME in a week, if I made comments like that
Not if your wife overloaded washing machines like mine does... That is why I am the one doing most of the laundry!

She'll see that little washer and figure it's good enough to wash a king size comforter...

As often as she likes to keep the bedding washed, I would have to drive into a laundromat weekly just to keep her happy...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Almost There

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
I own a similar one - they don't dry, they just centrifuge the water out. But they do a good enough job you could wear the clothes right out of them in a pinch. I hung them up in the bathroom in the apartment we lived in and clothes were dry within a couple of hours. Less if the furnace was running!

Light loads are best - I can do a single king-size sheet in the wash side, but to be safe when I transferred it to the spin side I squeezed out as much excess water as I could. Hubby's jeans are really thick and heavy so I wouldn't do 2 pair at once but maybe a pair and a tshirt and socks.

And yes - as mentioned upthread - I kept a tablespoon with my homemade detergent and used about 3/4 of that with each wash. The first few times you do towels, you will be AMAZED at how much detergent is still in them - I had read not to use any detergent the first time you wash towels and boy howdy was that right. I think I ran them through 4 agitation/drain/refill cycles and was STILL getting suds!!

You can't just "set it and forget it," you have to go and drain it and refill it to go from wash to rinse but I tell you what - having used Dad's "high efficiency" super hoo-ra front loader for 2 years? I MISS MY PANDA and I will be so glad to be using it again within the next week or so!!
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
If you ever find yourself with too much soap in the load, add some white vinegar to the rinse, it will make the soap let go.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Marc I'm just gonna hang em on the mirrors and take a short drive.[emoji6]
When I was younger we had a small washer dryer that hooked to kitchen sink never had any probems. But I wasn't doing the laundry. It would be nice if one of our geeks could invent a 12 volt /propane setup for us folks with larger skoolies. Its not like they couldn't build a 12 volt tumbling motor.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote