Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Storage Tanks

Maybe Gyre could chime in here with an update since I noticed his reference to using the tanks I was considering.
The tanks I have in mind are from Tractor Supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/l ... ank-35-gal
I want to use them as fresh, grey and black tanks since they come in various sizes and the price is right. Since the lids are 5", I could easily fabricate baffles and insert them into the grey and fresh tanks. Then I would find an adapter to downsize the top hole for the toilet to black tank size. I would also have to create the drain connections for grey and black.
Has anyone else used or considered these tanks and feedback before my purchase is appreciated. This is a Bluebird 12 row and I planned to put black and grey under the floor but fresh water location is still up for discussion. There will only be a bed in the back so there is storage inside below closets, seats, cabinets, etc.

HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Storage Tanks

Polyethylene imparts quite a plastic "flavor" to drinking water and is inclined to mold unless well treated. And poly cannot accept any glued fittings. They must be drilled and fitted with the compression type. OK for black & gray but ABS is better for potable. It is mold & mildew resistant and can be chemically "welded" allowing for more vent, drain, fill options.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Also, you can get nice rectangular poly tanks for a bit less than that TSC model. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?clk_r...&rt=nc&LH_FS=1
Being rectangular, they'll make better use of the space. As Tango mentioned, you'll need compression or plastic-weld fittings. I successfully welded additional fittings onto my tank using a router and a custom made bit.

ABS tanks appear to be more expensive so might want to be reserved for drinking water only.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

My understanding was that ABS is best used for grey/black water as it holds up to chemicals that might be flushed a lot better. I
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote