Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Tankless Water Heaters

So I know everyone is different on what you "just must have" in your bus if you're going to be spending any significant time in it. One thing I don't want to give up are my long, hot showers. The other day I decided to do the numbers and timed my "normal" shower, and checked the water meter before and after to see how much I had used. I have a 40g. water heater. My shower was 15+ minutes and I used 36 of the 40 stored gallons before it starts to cool down (2.4g/min).
So my questions to those who use tankless water heaters are:
1) How hot can you get steady water?
2) How long will it supply that hot water?
3) Is my limitation the size of my fresh water tank?

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
So I know everyone is different on what you "just must have" in your bus if you're going to be spending any significant time in it. One thing I don't want to give up are my long, hot showers. The other day I decided to do the numbers and timed my "normal" shower, and checked the water meter before and after to see how much I had used. I have a 40g. water heater. My shower was 15+ minutes and I used 36 of the 40 stored gallons before it starts to cool down (2.4g/min).
So my questions to those who use tankless water heaters are:
1) How hot can you get steady water?
2) How long will it supply that hot water?
3) Is my limitation the size of my fresh water tank?
My experience with tankless water heaters is limited to those in fixed houses, but most of the same principals apply. When you are looking at gas fired tankless water heaters what you need to research is its ability to raise water temp at a given flow rate. Most of the flashy advertising specs are for very low flow (=<1.5 GPM) so do your research. In your case, you want to flow approx 2.5GPM which is standard for shower heads in the US outside of Kalifornia. The Ecotemp L10 which seems to be a popular model for skoolies is rated at 75,000btu's but at 2.5 GPM this will only raise your water temp by 32* That would be woefully inadequate in a residential setting here locally, as we have to plan for incoming water temps around 45*(worst case scenario). If your only running it off of tank water, and that water is already at 70-80* then this might work for you, otherwise you will need something with more power. The other issue with large LP units, portable or fixed, is that once you get into the 150,000+ btu range, you will need to make sure your regulator is capable of those flow rates, and you will need more than a 20# propane tank. That grill cylinder will be iced up and frozen before you get the soap out of your hair if your trying to pull 200,000btus out of it. Once you get this figured out, and get a properly sized unit, your hot water will be limited only by your water tank size, and your fuel supply.
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
My experience with tankless water heaters is limited to those in fixed houses, but most of the same principals apply. When you are looking at gas fired tankless water heaters what you need to research is its ability to raise water temp at a given flow rate. Most of the flashy advertising specs are for very low flow (=<1.5 GPM) so do your research. In your case, you want to flow approx 2.5GPM which is standard for shower heads in the US outside of Kalifornia. The Ecotemp L10 which seems to be a popular model for skoolies is rated at 75,000btu's but at 2.5 GPM this will only raise your water temp by 32* That would be woefully inadequate in a residential setting here locally, as we have to plan for incoming water temps around 45*(worst case scenario). If your only running it off of tank water, and that water is already at 70-80* then this might work for you, otherwise you will need something with more power. The other issue with large LP units, portable or fixed, is that once you get into the 150,000+ btu range, you will need to make sure your regulator is capable of those flow rates, and you will need more than a 20# propane tank. That grill cylinder will be iced up and frozen before you get the soap out of your hair if your trying to pull 200,000btus out of it. Once you get this figured out, and get a properly sized unit, your hot water will be limited only by your water tank size, and your fuel supply.
Lots of good info there, Thanks Willie
Old 01-30-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Lots of good info there, Thanks Willie
+1 Thanks Willie!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Sounds like my 140°, 15 minute showers is a no go.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Boy Marc, you would not have been a happy camper at our place on the West side.

We relied on rainwater collection for our domestic water. That made for some lifestyle changes like 3.5 gallon " Navy" showers.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
"3.5 Gallon Navy Showers"?

Must be the "new" Navy. We got 1/2 gallon max on "water hours"
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I've been pondering how I might build a recirculating shower. The idea would be to use the first few minutes and gallons of shower time getting soap etc taken care of and let that water drain away. Then flip a valve and start recirculating water for the hydrotherapy session. Recirculation would significantly reduce the need for both water and fuel while the shower drags on and on..

There are a few little challenges related to keeping the recirculated water separate from the potable water. Need a separate pump, a separate heater (or heat exchanger, at least), and backflow prevention at the shower valve or head.

Has any of you seen any cleverly simple implementation?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
We have one in our bus, and had one in our camper for many years. They are both Marey units. This being the gas fired on demand heater. It can be used outdoors connected to a garden hose or used inside connected to you water pump. If inside you can get it with a vent pipe connection for exhaust gases.

Our water tank is in inside the bus as we do not want it to freeze, no showers then...

Our experiance is that we can have as hot of water as one wants for a long as you have water. We have a 105 gallon water tank. A 15 minute hot shower is fully possible, and on rare occasions I have done that. Mostly tend to do "navy showers" though, although not as short as Tango mentions. We use the shower head that comes with it, and it is plenty of water. I do not know what the flow rate is, however it is more then enough for a nice comfortable shower.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Sounds like my 140°, 15 minute showers is a no go.
I've had my Eccotemp L5 going on 3 years, setup outdoors with stainless/rubber garden hose hooked to clothes washer and shower... I can hit 194 degrees as long as I want, by manipulating a ball valve on the inlet side, or the one on the outlet side. I have great city water pressure, so I'm just slowing the flow. And the flow is negligible from the shower head itself.

I've done the exact same steps using the 12v pump from harbor freight and a 55 gal poly drum. Same results.
Only limited by the amount of water or propane you have.

and I've done it this way for years!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
A guy I work for builds tiny houses for big bucks. He's been installing some kind of tankless heater in them. I've heard nothing but good things about em.
If I were going to get a water heater I'd probably buy what he's using.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: FE 3900
Engine: DT466
Recirculating Shower

We are building our shower base on this system of a recirculating Shower. You can take as long of a hot shower as you wish on just a few gallons of water and reuse it multiple times.

With a 40 gal fresh water tank, every drop counts!

https://youtu.be/GgEmHj7iRdQ
Daledorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #13

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Sfe T Liner
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 31,000
Look at Bricor shower heads. They are not cheap , but you can go as low as .625 gals. per minute. We installed the Ultramax in our campers. They cost 75 bucks but are worth it if you a serious about water saving and a great shower.
Busnbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daledorm View Post
We are building our shower base on this system of a recirculating Shower. You can take as long of a hot shower as you wish on just a few gallons of water and reuse it multiple times.

With a 40 gal fresh water tank, every drop counts!

https://youtu.be/GgEmHj7iRdQ
we are also going with a system we found on a website called shower loop. its a open source project that will give you lots of info about doing it yourself. i wont need a low flow or have to limit my time in it. however be prepared for some snarkey comments i have received from the bathtub crowd that thinks its dirty water.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
we are also going with a system we found on a website called shower loop. its a open source project that will give you lots of info about doing it yourself. i wont need a low flow or have to limit my time in it. however be prepared for some snarkey comments i have received from the bathtub crowd that thinks its dirty water.
There's a bathtub crowd?
Old 08-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
There's a bathtub crowd?
horse tanks mostly
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
We've been on the road for a year in our skoolie. We have a Girard 2GWHAM and have been happy with it. We can get 115F water as long as there is propane. If you turn off the water to soap up the water temp drops for 20 seconds or so.
It has a freeze guard feature that kicks on every few minutes when the core temp drops below 38F heating up the unit.
lewirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
I am always surprised to see my own replies when these old threads get dredged back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewirj View Post
We have a Girard 2GWHAM and have been happy with it. We can get 115F water as long as there is propane.
This is the unit we have decided on as well, glad to hear it is working well for you. I am still searching for a black door though.