Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
The Boss - Feasible?

So... searching for shower pans, etc, trying to figure out what I really want in here as far as a shower goes. As it is now, I shower at LA Fitness .. which kind of forces me to go to the gym nearly every day and at the least do the tread mill and bike! My LA Fitness membership gives me access to any LA Fitness in the U.S..
That said, when I take the bus on the road next year, and I am at camp grounds, they will likely have a shower. If I am boon docking and have a water supply (via my not yet installed clean water tank), I could use this:

Hot Water Shower System - Mr. Heater F235300 - Water Heaters - Camping World

Do you think this is feasible? Looking for ideas, suggestions, constructive criticism. Also, I am NOT a princess ... I have car camped, primitive camped, hiked the Appalachian trail for a week and used shower wipes, etc. Just so ya know

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.

p.s. If I were to go with something like this, it would give me so much more room for my office space (I run an internet based insurance billing company and live/work on my bus and plan on taking my work on the road with me).

WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
you can get a tankless water heater that works off a grill tank, ebay has them search for l5. them little tanks cost a fortune. do you have a fresh water tank or pump in your bus?
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
you can get a tankless water heater that works off a grill tank, ebay has them search for l5. them little tanks cost a fortune. do you have a fresh water tank or pump in your bus?
I plan on installing a fresh water tank. If I install a shower, I'll install a pump, but won't need that with something like one of these.
I've researched the tankless water heaters and if I go with a shower room installed in the bus, I'm totally going with one of those!

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can install something on the bus that could easily be taken down that I could have privacy with. I do see the "tent shower" things and they seem like they'd take up little space in the back of the bus.

I would really love to NOT have to install a shower on the bus. I've been living on it for 3 months now w/o one and would love to have the extra room.

So how could I rig a hose that would run FROM the fresh water tank, through a hot water source and up to a shower head?

I am so grateful for the wisdom of this forum!!!

Sandi
Old 02-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
I plan on installing a fresh water tank. If I install a shower, I'll install a pump, but won't need that with something like one of these.
I've researched the tankless water heaters and if I go with a shower room installed in the bus, I'm totally going with one of those!
Yeah, I think a Vented (important) tankless water heater is good plan. I talked crap about them in the past, but I plan to go that route. I would avoid the portable propane heater you linked to. If you're planning to live out of your bus for awhile you should have a somewhat permanent water heating setup. Even if it means having an outdoor shower. Using small canisters seems like a PITA

Quote:
I would really love to NOT have to install a shower on the bus. I've been living on it for 3 months now w/o one and would love to have the extra room.
I've seen some creative ideas, using door and entry spaces as makeshift showers. ie: a door that opens up and has hooks to hang a shower curtain, or using the entry stairway as a shower area. Apparently I don't have any links or pictures of these ideas at first glance. I think it could be good to consider having a shower area, and how you can reuse that space for other purposes. The more time I've spent thinking about it, the more fond I am of having a section of my bus dedicated to dealing with moisture. I do plan to have an outlet for an outdoor shower as well though, because why not?

Quote:
So how could I rig a hose that would run FROM the fresh water tank, through a hot water source and up to a shower head?
I think that's exactly how you do it.

Hot water: Water Tank->water heater->shower/sink
cold water: water tank->shower/sink

I think you want a water pump and accumulator in there somewhere too, there's a lot of discussions about it all over.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

TAOLIK - thanks so much for your input! Much appreciated. I think I have an idea coming together now... I'll present it to you all of you when I have it on paper

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com

p.s. love your blog!
Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
you could also make your toilet area a "wet room" or shower stall with a toilet to sit on while showering.
That way your using one space for two functions.
Or even three if you put a bath sink in there too.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
you could also make your toilet area a "wet room" or shower stall with a toilet to sit on while showering.
That way your using one space for two functions.
Or even three if you put a bath sink in there too.
I have also thought about that... might re-visit that idea.
Sandi
Old 03-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454
Entryway shower

We are remodelling a bus for a family of 7, so space is at a premium. I love, love, LOVE the idea of the entryway shower. That could free up the planned shower space for a small writing desk/mini library!

These suggestions are awesome!
retrogeek42 is offline   Reply With Quote