Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466 w/ AT545
Rated Cap: 36
Toilet swap

So my bus came with a toilet and black water tank already installed (former prison bus). I'd like to switch it out to something a little more comfortable and appealing than the metal box it has right now. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220609_204717.jpg  

Zechs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Domestic 320. Porcelain bowl. Elongated.

Installs with standard floor drain flange
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
staying with a standard rv style toilet?

i think the dometic 320 is the most common choice for a like home experience.

if money were no object, for me, i'd choose a macerator toilet. the thetford techma with the bidet option. however its probably not the best choice to reuse your existing flange.

good luck!
Old 06-12-2022, 12:21 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post

That's what I bought, its sitting in my living room waiting for me to install the black tank.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Treasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechs36 View Post
So my bus came with a toilet and black water tank already installed (former prison bus). I'd like to switch it out to something a little more comfortable and appealing than the metal box it has right now. Any suggestions?
Does the commode flush? I sure would like to see more pictures of that prison that prison toilet. The working parts, flush water pump, bowl, etc. Am I a lone weirdo on this one?

Another skoolie.net member, SpencerOneHalf, documented his prison bus conversion (different commode). Check it out his thread: "im-in-bondage-to-this-prison-bus"

If you document the commode demo, a fellow reader may want it, while others might be able to build something similar in their bus.

Me, I'd polish it and bring it to my local flea market to have it etched or acid stained with some fancy design. Might use it as the jobsite facilities while converting the bus.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466 w/ AT545
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Does the commode flush? I sure would like to see more pictures of that prison that prison toilet. The working parts, flush water pump, bowl, etc. Am I a lone weirdo on this one?

Another skoolie.net member, SpencerOneHalf, documented his prison bus conversion (different commode). Check it out his thread: "im-in-bondage-to-this-prison-bus"

If you document the commode demo, a fellow reader may want it, while others might be able to build something similar in their bus.

Me, I'd polish it and bring it to my local flea market to have it etched or acid stained with some fancy design. Might use it as the jobsite facilities while converting the bus.
Doesn't flush, it was literally a metal box with a hole in it that dropped in to a black water tank.
Zechs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechs36 View Post
Doesn't flush, it was literally a metal box with a hole in it that dropped in to a black water tank.
Yuk. Not what I had in mind. Lol.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
not what was in my head either but still better than an outhouse.
i was visioning the prison fixtures we install at work?
all stainless a single toilet is 2000$ and bolted to the floor and the wall with the bolt heads welded down and rubber drain gaskets instead of wax.
the army corps of engineers actually made me prove that they could pass a 2-12" ball just like the specs said they would.
the next fixture is the sink and toilet built into one solid piece that is a pain to hook up and only cost our govt 4000$ a piece.
we are not installing these in prisons but i have.
i am putting these in the field heads like bombing ranges and rifle ranges for our marines.
i was a marine infantry and never had this problem.
but i guess when a marine is having a hard time hitting there target on the range they go take it out on the bathroom.
yes i had to ask why the extreme fixtures and that was at the same time i was having to do the ball flush thing. i would question a prison fixture that could do that? because contraband flushed would be nothing with that capacity.
and years later i did the new base brig and we had the same fixture but a plumbing chase where each toilet had its own sediment trap or drum trap that collected anything and everything flushed. gross but effective for contra band and least i got to prove they worked on new system not used and abused crappy systems.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:29 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
My prison bus came with two toilets, both Thetfords. We couldn’t figure out where to mount a grey water tank so we used the black water tank for the grey water tank and installed a composting toilet instead (natures head) and never looked back. Totally happy with a composting unit vented out thru the roof with a Vent-turi on the tube and absolutely no smell when in use like a regular toilet. Not carrying extra water for waste disposal and drain hose and looking for dump stations wherever you travel. We get almost a year out of a bundle of peat moss for $12 cheaper than some dump stations.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post

thats a nice throne.. saw one in a friend's RV and it actually flushes really nice too.. im guessing would fill up a prison bus Black tank pretty quick.. arent those like 5 gallons?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:57 PM   #11

Year: 2003
Engine: V10
https://dry-flush.com/

I have try most of the toilets this has been the best one i got no black tank and no compost toilet tank smells its pricey but most of em are
Koloj1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:09 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: tc 2000
Engine: P pump cummins
I just scored some plastic commodes from a govt auction that are equipped with a trap door but no pee diverter. I am hoping to make something work with two conflicting ideas. 1 fiberglass In a ridge for a diverter channel, then drill and tap for separate whiz drain, like a natures head (I loooove everything about these but the price tag.) or have a center black "box" with a screened bottom port at angled bottom and work the agitator paddles to squeegee upward away from screen. Separating post head in tank bottom. I read about another design that used this idea as it separated with box and tank this way. I imagine it pretty unpleasant but folks are marketing it, so maybe not that bad? I would hope to improve on it a bit. With a rotating rubber scraper paddle wheel in the peet bin to keep the drain clear.
Oliveguam is offline   Reply With Quote