Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I agree with you for most part.
The key is..
The environment/use patterns of different places requires different approaches --

There it is .. 2 gallon a day for 90 days is 180 gallon dispersed over 1/2 acre dispersed camping area is pretty darn good. Especially if you pour 2 gallons of gray in a 6" deep pit.

I am curious to see how the science of a perk tested domestic 1 acre lot for combination of black and gray in a common household compares to 2 gallon a day on BLM land.

Caves is a whole different ball game. common sense.

My whole point is that the law is one thing. It does not take in account the amount and the quantity and quality of your gray water, or any of your by product.. as 5 drips of used motor oil in that pristine natural monument. everday 5 drops times 90 days...or the gasoline spilled during refilling of the generator, and and ....

Sorry to have diverted this thread.
Johan

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
OK... what I'm hearing here is that a lot of people seem to think that kitchen waste in the sink and laundry water (wash those dirty diapers and greasy jeans) is grey water. Since when?? That is black water.

One of the advantages of building your own RV is you can build the plumbing and other systems the way you want them. If your grey water stinks, it is not grey water... you are doing it wrong. Figure it out.

If you have a composting toilet, I can see why you don't have a steady use for your grey water and you probably don't really need a grey water system.

Grey water is like storm water, it shouldn't need to be processed. Storm water drains do not send the water down to the sewer treatment plant, it would flood out their system.

In some big buildings, they now have grey water systems watering the landscaping. Cuts down water use, recycling the water, and doesn't use chlorinated/treated water for landscaping. But, they have a very definite description of what grey water is and it is not the same as what some of you seem to think it is.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:53 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
one thing about having separate gray and black water holding tanks...you dump the black water first then the gray, theory being that the gray will rinse out the nastier black...your hose won't be sanitized but it will be cleaner than it would be if you only ran the black water through it.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #44

Hi everyone just signed up on this site for the good info for my build.
I've been thinking along the same lines for my composting toilet.
I've been thinking of adding this to the grey/urine tank Urine Destroyer for Cats | Nature's Miracle
It's an enzyme that eats urine and takes the smell out. It's made for cats who have very considerated urine . I have used it on cat pee and it works well.
Cant see where it it wont work for people pee . A few cap fulls down the drain should do it.
If it don't work I'm not out much money.
DDinCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
one thing about having separate gray and black water holding tanks...you dump the black water first then the gray, theory being that the gray will rinse out the nastier black...your hose won't be sanitized but it will be cleaner than it would be if you only ran the black water through it.

I would call that a good use for reusing grey water, cleaning the black water tanks/lines.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
pack it in - pack it out.

i like what festivals like burning man do with waste. waste water and just waste..... pack it , pack it out.

if you must dump your grey water, you dump it in a big pan and evaporate it.

no perc test needed, because they don't allow you to dump water on the desert ground.

legal waste water dump sights are everywhere.

check out the site - sani dumps - online. i bet a dump station is closer to you than 10 miles.

the reason skoolies get a bad rap is because owners try to re invent human waste disposal. the rv/travel world has a sanitary disposal system.... use it.

don't get me started on composting waste disposal....grrrr
Old 08-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
I agree with you for most part.
The key is..
The environment/use patterns of different places requires different approaches --

There it is .. 2 gallon a day for 90 days is 180 gallon dispersed over 1/2 acre dispersed camping area is pretty darn good. Especially if you pour 2 gallons of gray in a 6" deep pit.

I am curious to see how the science of a perk tested domestic 1 acre lot for combination of black and gray in a common household compares to 2 gallon a day on BLM land.

Caves is a whole different ball game. common sense.

My whole point is that the law is one thing. It does not take in account the amount and the quantity and quality of your gray water, or any of your by product.. as 5 drips of used motor oil in that pristine natural monument. everday 5 drops times 90 days...or the gasoline spilled during refilling of the generator, and and ....

Sorry to have diverted this thread.
Johan

I don't understand what you are trying to to say.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #48
Bus Nut

An update for my setup (I was one of the guys who was planning on dumping urine/grey water in the woods):

We opted to just go full composting and our toilet is simply a five gallon bucket with cat litter. I was originally going to plumb the liquids away and into the grey tank, but then I realized that's way too much effort for very little gain.

We've used the toilet just once--every other time we've just done our business outside. With such little use, I don't see any reason to separate liquids from solids, and we just combine it all with cat litter and call it good.

And yes, I am aware that throwing that garbage bag in the waste bin is against the law... but out of all the illegal things I do, I think that's the most harmless.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
An update for my setup (I was one of the guys who was planning on dumping urine/grey water in the woods):

We opted to just go full composting and our toilet is simply a five gallon bucket with cat litter. I was originally going to plumb the liquids away and into the grey tank, but then I realized that's way too much effort for very little gain.

We've used the toilet just once--every other time we've just done our business outside. With such little use, I don't see any reason to separate liquids from solids, and we just combine it all with cat litter and call it good.

And yes, I am aware that throwing that garbage bag in the waste bin is against the law... but out of all the illegal things I do, I think that's the most harmless.

Hope you don't live around any bears. LOL

How many neighbors like yourself would it take to make you clean up your act?
Old 08-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Lol I WISH that was the worst thing my neighbors did
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
... but out of all the illegal things I do, I think that's the most harmless.
Quote of the week.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
You do know on average everyone commits 3 felonies a day, don't you?

https://www.mic.com/articles/86797/8...t-realizing-it

Three felonies a day.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, compost toilet, grey water, plumping, water waste