Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Skoolie

Venting eccotemp

So i have my eccotemp in a closet area about 3 feet from my roof fan. If i just exhaust the fan when showering or running warm water for a while i should be ok right? I can do a seperate vent but it seems unneccesary with the ceiling fan right there

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Despite the mfg saying not to use the gas fired Ecotemp inside, I like you went ahead and did it anyway. However, I installed my unit in a sealed metal cabinet with combustion air coming from outside and exhaust venting to the outside. I would strongly recommend against venting the exhaust the way you suggest as it provides no guarantee that all the exhaust will leave the cabin. It doesn't take much carbon monoxide to get you dead. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
So i have my eccotemp in a closet area about 3 feet from my roof fan. If i just exhaust the fan when showering or running warm water for a while i should be ok right? I can do a seperate vent but it seems unneccesary with the ceiling fan right there
I think it mostly depends on the ratio between the total cubic feet of air in your bus and the CFM (cubic feet per minute) that your exhaust fan is rated for. If your fan is able to fully cycle the air in your bus once every 1-4 minutes, you should almost definitely be fine. Any less than that, I would be worried. That being said, if you aren't going to seal your heater off from the rest of the bus, I would 100% make sure to add a CO detector somewhere, just in case.
busplusplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Dreaded 3126 - 545
I understand that "Venting" would be the proper thing to do, but one must understand that these heaters only burn when they are being used. Saying that they probably "Vent" less noxious gas than the Propane cook top when sautéing veggies, boiling water, frying eggs and or making coffee. Same fuel for both and one off gasses more than the other and it's not the heater.

Just saying

Dan
ShagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Do you have a couple pics?
Is the closet closed off completely from the cabin area?
Do you already have a C02 alarm?
Do you have real estate for a ducting option to the existing roof vent?
How Far away from the shower is the eccotemp? are they sharing the same roof vent?

Personally I wouldn't be concerned if you have a full size bus and you appropriately vent the bus while using the shower as that likely to be the longest amount of run time for your eccotemp.
just my 2 bits

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Skoolie

It is a maxair fan that moves some decent air and its only 2.5 ft from the eccotemp ive got an alarm. I am going to give it a shot and see if my alarm goes off durring a long shower. Thanks guys
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote