Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
waste water tank source

Has anyone used tanks made by Class A Customs out of Elkhart, IN?

They are a lot less expensive than some other brands for the same capacity.

BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I was going to use them but the wall thickness was only around 1/4". I went with TankMart.com. They will make the tanks in black or white with fittings where you want them. Their wall thickness is minimum 3/8". You pay for it but I feel confident they will outlast the bus and handle debris being thrown at them.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I used tank-mart.com as well. Good service, drawings of nearly all the tanks, custom fittings as you choose. The chat feature on the site is great
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
Bus Nut

thanks guys...with the tank walls being thicker (3/8") and having some "peace of mind" I think I'll go ahead and crack open my wallet for the better/stronger tanks. It will be painful, but I'll survive!
Old 08-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
try pelland industies.

i got a waste tank from them. and they have an easy calc for finding the right dimension tank.

Black abs is superior plastic for an exposed tank. thin wall PE like the what class A uses is great for tanks inside the bus, not exposed to the road, sun...etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Some clarification needs to be made.

Tank-mart.com is a retailer for several manufacturers. My waste tanks are from Custom Roto and my fresh tank is from Ronco Plastics, both of which are sold through TM. I purchased the waste tanks throughTM, but I went directly to Ronco for the fresh tank to save on shipping.

Tanks from both manufacturers are good quality. The difference I had between going through TM and Ronco was the service. I was trying to fit the largest tanks possible while fitting the limited space under my bus. Shannon at Tank-Mart was very patient and she went out of her way to get drawing of tanks that were missing and making sure the fitting additions were accurately conveyed to the manufacturer.

Ronco on the other hand, was a very different experience. The initial call that I made early in the morning got me the head guy. All general questions answered and assurances made, I sent the drawing with the spin weld fitting locations noted. That’s when things fell apart a little. The other staff didn’t really care of my concerns and dealing with them was more difficult with conflicting messages from different people. I still got what I wanted, but they made it harder.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
Has anyone used tanks made by Class A Customs out of Elkhart, IN?

They are a lot less expensive than some other brands for the same capacity.
All mine are Class A Customs. They are somewhat thin, so I boxed them in with plywood (within the bus) or sheet metal (underfloor).

Vacuum them out before installing-there's a bunch of fringe plastic inside that is left over from the forming process.

They're cheap, and do the job.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:01 PM   #8
Bus Nut

You are Correct Danjo. Tank Mart handles several companies. I went with the Ronco plastics tank for my exposed grey water tank. 115 gallons. Surprisingly, being a custom made tank with my fitting locations, it shipped out really quick.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:57 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
We're in the Class A Customs camp. Well, really, we have no loyalty to them...but we've bought lots of tanks from them and found them to be of good quality. Granted, we install them in bays or boxed enclosures so the wall thickness hasn't ever concerned me.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #10
Bus Nut

thanks again for all the feedback. I ended up ordering from tank mart. Much more expensive, but I like the thicker walls. Plus, on my first bus, one of my tanks did develop a small leak witch was a pia to deal with. Unfortunately, the estimated delivery is end of October. But I think I can focus on other things while I wait.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:33 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I am in the camp that you get what you pay for. Peace of mind trumps price most of the time and quality always follows close to price. When I build something, I build it to last. Hate to go back and redo something I already completed. Regarding the Ronco tank I have, my bus sits in 110º heat and the tank has not deformed whatsoever. I was going to pick up a new/used Class A tank from someone here who happened to live near me and did not build their bus. When I went to see the tanks she had, they were bulged outward from being stored on end. Think of a over stuffed pillow. That's what made me decide to spend a little more and get a thicker tank. My tank was estimated about a month out but was delivered within a week and a half!
Old 09-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
a)
2003, our ExpeditionVehicle build:
I had the great idea to fabricate our waste tanks.
I acquired the materials from a local-owned company in Eugene, Oregon:
www.multicraftplastics.com
We needed to build-not-buy after we were quoted over a couple thousand Federal Reserve Bankers Notes for the size/shape we needed.
Another motivation was timing -- quoted a bunch o' bucks plus a couple-three months, we acquired the materials including welding rod and HarborFrieght heat-gun, and proceeded to melt the whole shootin' match into a gooey swiss-cheesed muck.
[ insert 'sigh' ]
b)
Armed with that wisdom, we decided to not re-invent the wheel -- we visited local wrecking-yards (aka 'vehicle dismantlers').
We discovered multiple RecreationVehicles with near-enough dimensions on tanks.
Returning with our Black-Decker saws-all with extra blades and batteries, we whacked our new tanks free from their bondage.
At the check-out counter, the front-end workers were conspicuously absent.
Shuddering and fake-gagging (ha! ha!) (such histrionics!) in the office behind the safety of a big plate of glass -- door firmly closed against any possibility of contamination -- the staff waved us through, shaking their heads and waving their hands in 'no charge' 'free, just leave' motions.
Of course, to prevent contagions, we wore our blue-on-one-side white-on-the-other fabric masks (aka 'face-masks').
Because medical science.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC CE300
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Have been using Class A Customs tanks for 3 months now and 2000 miles. So far so good. 2 fresh water 40 and 50 gallons, and grey water 70 gallons. They are sustended under the floor with Unistruts and L shape supports between the struts. I must say that I did not think things thru completely and I have no rubber isolators between the threaded rods and the tank wall, not between the tank bottoms and the L shape supports : everythng is snug. I inspect after each trip for rubbing and possible grind thru. But so far so good, no deterioration whatsoever.
Seb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1 View Post
Have been using Class A Customs tanks for 3 months now and 2000 miles. So far so good. 2 fresh water 40 and 50 gallons, and grey water 70 gallons. They are sustended under the floor with Unistruts and L shape supports between the struts. I must say that I did not think things thru completely and I have no rubber isolators between the threaded rods and the tank wall, not between the tank bottoms and the L shape supports : everythng is snug. I inspect after each trip for rubbing and possible grind thru. But so far so good, no deterioration whatsoever.
I used all-thread and was worried about that too. I put 1/2” PEX on the rod.

I was also worried about the durability of the Custom Roto tanks I got. I accidentally tested the grey tank by test fitting and forgetting it was under the bus and dragging it over gravel for 10 feet. There was one deep scratch, but my worry was for nothing when I hole-sawed the vent hole and found out how thick it was