Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Question water pressure feedback

Okay, this is one of those dumb questions. I see that you have the reservoirs (tanks) for the water, but when you open a faucet, or turn the shower on, what activates the pump to pump water from the reservoir/tank to the faucet or shower? I'm guessing the type of pump you get is activated by reduced water pressure, but I don't know because I haven't bought one yet (and don't yet know the best one to buy!).

Also, is there a down side (besides weight) of having a 100 gallon tank for clean water? I'm guessing you'd like to position it near the middle of the bus, if you can.

Thanks!
Jim

jch511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch511 View Post
Okay, this is one of those dumb questions. I see that you have the reservoirs (tanks) for the water, but when you open a faucet, or turn the shower on, what activates the pump to pump water from the reservoir/tank to the faucet or shower? I'm guessing the type of pump you get is activated by reduced water pressure, but I don't know because I haven't bought one yet (and don't yet know the best one to buy!).

Also, is there a down side (besides weight) of having a 100 gallon tank for clean water? I'm guessing you'd like to position it near the middle of the bus, if you can.

Thanks!
Jim
Not a dumb question and you are right. Most of us use a Shurflo or equivalent pump that senses the water pressure in the lines, and only runs when the water pressure drops below about 40 psi.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Not a dumb question and you are right. Most of us use a Shurflo or equivalent pump that senses the water pressure in the lines, and only runs when the water pressure drops below about 40 psi.
Oh, man, thank you SO much! I can finally sleep tonight! .
Old 12-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
I think you'll need as much graywater storage as your freshwater storage, so it's best to think through how you will use the rig, and design the storage around that.

At a minimum I see a lot of folks with five or six gallon jugs, seems pretty skimpy but dirt cheap to set up.

My rig is designed for four days boondocking, so I have 40/40 fresh and gray.

And I don't want to start a whole debate on whether or not graywater dumping is legal. Just sayin' if you have ever been to a campsite (or road pullout, or parking lot) where someone has 'oops I accidentally kind of on purpose emptied my graywater tank' you know why it matters to design the rig so you're not one of those people.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

THANKS! That is extremely helpful! And I'm a retired biologist, so I promise I won't be dropping stinky water anywhere I'm not supposed to!

I am remiss. I should catch up and post images of my project as I move along.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Ha! You're also remiss in not having filled out your profile. Who are you? What bus do you have? Whereabouts do you live? What does your bus look like etc?

Inquiring minds are desperate to know. Without this info it's hard to help you--not to mention sell you stuff and berate your progress (just kidding).

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Ha! You're also remiss in not having filled out your profile. Who are you? What bus do you have? Whereabouts do you live? What does your bus look like etc?

Inquiring minds are desperate to know. Without this info it's hard to help you--not to mention sell you stuff and berate your progress (just kidding).

Jack

Brownie points if he has a Superior
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
100 gallons of water weighs 800lb, or the equivalent of 6 students. Doesn't matter where you put it. If you're anal about it, think of what weight you could add to offset it, but it's really not an issue.

Go to the UserCP in the upper left to fill out your profile.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Or instead of one large water tank, use two smaller inter-connected tanks side-by-side. They will be easier to fit, and the bus will always be balanced side-to-side. To have enough water for several week's boondocking I have two 110-gallon tanks, and they don't change the bus's handling or steering at all.

To prevent water pumps from running excessively or hunting, water pressure accumulators will lessen the pressure changes while you use small amounts of water. I use a Watts 2-gallon accumulator that I keep at the same 45 PSI as my pumps' output pressure, and I can flush the loo without always making the pump run.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Brownie points if he has a Superior
Hah! So I did register and uploaded some pictures of my bus, "The Jazz Buzz" last month, I think. Thank you for pointing that out!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Or instead of one large water tank, use two smaller inter-connected tanks side-by-side. They will be easier to fit, and the bus will always be balanced side-to-side. To have enough water for several week's boondocking I have two 110-gallon tanks, and they don't change the bus's handling or steering at all.

To prevent water pumps from running excessively or hunting, water pressure accumulators will lessen the pressure changes while you use small amounts of water. I use a Watts 2-gallon accumulator that I keep at the same 45 PSI as my pumps' output pressure, and I can flush the loo without always making the pump run.

John
Thanks for that tip on the water pressure accumulator. I had no idea about those and still don't know how they work or what I have to do to make use of it. Do you happen to have a resource for reading up on that, per chance? Thanks! Jim
Old 01-20-2022, 10:43 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch511 View Post
Thanks for that tip on the water pressure accumulator. I had no idea about those and still don't know how they work or what I have to do to make use of it. Do you happen to have a resource for reading up on that, per chance? Thanks! Jim
Sorry about that--I found an answer rather quickly on a Web search. Duh.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-27-2022, 06:48 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
100 gallons of water weighs 800lb, or the equivalent of 6 students. Doesn't matter where you put it. If you're anal about it, think of what weight you could add to offset it, but it's really not an issue.
Can the suspension handle it? Sure. But that doesn't mean 800lbs of weight placed wherever couldn't have a detrimental impact on control / traction. As for offsetting, that's potentially problematic, since the amount of water you have onboard at any given time is not a static quantity.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tank, water pump