Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Water pump leak

My water pump keeps making constant obnoxious sounds when it is turned on. I read in the manual online it could be from a leak but I don’t see water leaking anywhere. What should I check to verify if this is the problem or not? And if it is what would I need to do to fix it? This is the first time I’ve had issues and not sure what to do. Here is a pic of my setup sorry for the sideways view. Thanks for any and all help
Attached Thumbnails
87C1A25F-FDC5-4EAF-9DFF-6E86ACEAB8D3.jpg  

navigationnowhere94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigationnowhere94 View Post
My water pump keeps making constant obnoxious sounds when it is turned on. I read in the manual online it could be from a leak but I don’t see water leaking anywhere. What should I check to verify if this is the problem or not? And if it is what would I need to do to fix it? This is the first time I’ve had issues and not sure what to do. Here is a pic of my setup sorry for the sideways view. Thanks for any and all help
Do you have an accumulator tank in your system? Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	57256
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Oscar's question is right on track. I'd also add...do you have a check valve in the system? In the first diagram Oscar posted, I'd move the check valve to a position right before the accumulator tank. It's possible that your pump pressurizes the lines, then water leaks back through the pump...which then "growls" at low speed to pressurize the lines again. Essentially, this is a leak that you cannot see. The accumulator tank and a check valve should resolve all your issues.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Ours made obnoxious sounds that got worse over time, which ultimately led to it not shutting off unless we switched it off manually. The problem was a worn out pressure switch. It's at the top of your pump and the red wires are connected to it. A new one cost 13 bucks and took like 5 minutes to replace. Not sure what obnoxious sounds your pump is making, but from what I gather those switches are a normal wear item.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #5

I don’t know if that would be the issue with mine it’s only a month old :/ check out this video I posted yesterday, this is what my pump is doing

https://www.reddit.com/r/skoolies/co...tm_name=iossmf
Old 05-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #6

I do not have that, no. I hired someone to do all the plumbing and electric work and that was not installed
Old 05-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
FWIW, seems like all our RVs over the years had the water pump kick on intermittently for a few seconds. Maybe temperature changes.
Maybe your pump let’s a little backflow.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote