Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Waterpump for grey tank

I'll be converting commercial starcraft bus to skoolie. There is not much room under the bus for tanks and plumbing. I can see a 40gal space on one side and 50 gal space on the other side. I can put my black tank directly under the toilet but not the grey water tank. Can I put a small / 20 gal tank under the shower then water pump it to a bigger 50 gal tank? Is there a more heavy duty water pump to handle this?

Appreciate any suggestion/input.

Thanks,
William

willvalenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
from waste tank to waste tank, i'd probably use an RV macerator pump.

i'd probably get 2, one for each tank.

separate dumps for each tank would be the simplest. tying the tanks together would increase the likelihood that you have a problem, clog or worse.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
A macerator pump sure would get the job done but it seems like overkill. I have a 7 gal grey water tank (blue in pic) that serves my below the floor shower. I installed a 3 gpm submersible pump in it to pump the water into the main 40 gal grey tank. I run the pump while I shower so there is never any water in the little tank. Although there is a sock filter on the pump I am very careful to let only soapy water enter the tank. I provided an emergency drain and access to the pump should there be a problem. Three years now and no problems yet. Jack

[IMG][/IMG]
ol trunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have a transfer pump to move excess gray water into the poo tank if needed. It's a cheapo Harbor Fright impeller-type utility pump, fed by a separate 3/4" hose from the gray tank through a ball valve. It pumps gray water up to an inlet in the top of the poo tank directly above its 3" drain to the dump valve - the theory (but I've not tested it yet) is if there were a Mound Of Doom partially blocking the poo tank's drain, it may help to blast it clear. Obviously there's a check valve to absolutely prevent any poo tank contents from backflowing towards the pump, but I don't think it would ever happen anyway. I put the 3/4" outlet on the gray tank about an inch off the bottom, to prevent too much "solids" there from being sucked into the pump.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks a lot turf, ol trunt, Iceni John
willvalenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I'm using a macerater pump from my grey to black tank, Then another one from my black to the discharge hose, Oh plus i have a macerating toilet, figure you can't grind it to small.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote