Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Weight distribution

So, I have an international 3000 series short bus. 25 ft bumper to bumper on a full sized chassis. I’m looking at water tank placement. I have the last 30 inches devoted to a storage “garage” and my bed in front of that. I’m looking at putting two 30 gallon fresh tanks inside, under the bed, and two more 30 gallons grey tanks under the bus. The easier place to put the grey tanks is on either side behind the wheels, and I’d like to put the fresh tanks behind the wheel wells, but could also place them on top of each other in between the wheel wells. My question is how much will having about 1300lbs (960lb water 130lb bed and a few hundred lbs of gear/shelves) hanging off the back end effect my ride? Should I try and orient the tanks as central as possible? I’d prefer to put fresh tanks further aft behind the wheel wells, but I could but them right over the axel, and I could maybe find grey tanks that fit between the frame rather than on either side. Thanks for input!

Tawdbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawdbb View Post
So, I have an international 3000 series short bus. 25 ft bumper to bumper on a full sized chassis. I’m looking at water tank placement. I have the last 30 inches devoted to a storage “garage” and my bed in front of that. I’m looking at putting two 30 gallon fresh tanks inside, under the bed, and two more 30 gallons grey tanks under the bus. The easier place to put the grey tanks is on either side behind the wheels, and I’d like to put the fresh tanks behind the wheel wells, but could also place them on top of each other in between the wheel wells. My question is how much will having about 1300lbs (960lb water 130lb bed and a few hundred lbs of gear/shelves) hanging off the back end effect my ride? Should I try and orient the tanks as central as possible? I’d prefer to put fresh tanks further aft behind the wheel wells, but I could but them right over the axel, and I could maybe find grey tanks that fit between the frame rather than on either side. Thanks for input!

It's not 960lb of water, it's half that. Your gray water and fresh water won't be full at the same time. Weight-wise, that's a couple seats full of kids.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
What about blackwater?
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
It's not 960lb of water, it's half that. Your gray water and fresh water won't be full at the same time. Weight-wise, that's a couple seats full of kids.
😅 true! Also, no black water, I’ll ya e a composter. Ok I’ll plan on putting them further back👍
Tawdbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

10-4 on the composter, that's why I asked the question. With all the different options out there it is difficult to assume what anybody is going to use.what I might think is a good idea doesn't necessarily meet somebody else's expectations so no reason to offer a solution that doesn't solve a problem!
Old 02-14-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
You make a good point about not answering until all te data is available. In a forum such as this, it is difficult to do.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I've done it before. I make a comment from my perspective without considering my preconception on the subject. In this case, just because might think black water is a foregone conclusion doesn't mean it is so because composting toilets are very common in this application.

As a general rule I prefer to keep holding tanks between the axles but this isn't inflexible. Just remember that fluid is always in motion as you travel and with larger volume gains its own momentum to influence your handling. However I don't anticipate any issues in the proposed volumes and configuration, as Drew Bru said it's the equivalent of a couple of kids and we all know they gravitate to the back rows first anyways!