Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

12 Volt appliances

Does anyone (or everyone) have any specific experience or opinions on the "non-standard" 12V appliances that are available. Like the microwave with the built on inverter, 12 volt heater, coffee maker, grill, blender, etc.

It would seem that they might be worth while if I had a solar panel and a large battery bank. Sometimes running the generator or hooking up to shore power might not be an option.

fmtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

since 12 volt appliances are not as common as 110 volt ones when it comes to coffe pots, microwaves, they tend to be significantly more expensive.

My suggestion would be to buy an inverter that is capable of running a standard microwave or coffee pot. 110 volt appliances are cheap! Just walk the isles as Wal-mart.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I use a 3000 Watt inverter. It allows me to run a 120v fridge, and a few other things for a day/day and a half. I have 6 golf cart batteries.

The inverter also allows me to put a slow charge on my genset battery (when connected to shore power).

As far as the coffee maker, I bot one at Wally World that brews into an insulated pot. That way it only draws current while running.

I try to use 12v as much as possible (lights,etc), but haven't used many 12v appliances.

HTH....
DigDug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #4

Coffee maker alternatives

I have to admit that I don't have a bus, yet, but have been camping in various travel trailers etc. for quite a while. I know that it's convenient to flip a switch (or set a timer) and have coffee all set to brew but I haven't had very much luck with 12V coffee makers and don't want to start the morning with a big drain on the batteries through an inverter either.

What I've settled on is a french press from Bodum (see http://www.bodum.com for information). Just boil some water in whatever's handy, put the grounds in the press, pour in boiling water and wait for about 5 minutes then push the plunger and coffee's ready. I pour the result into a thermos to keep in hot. It works well for me and has for years.No electricity needed; no filters needed and hardly more work than boiling water.

Regards,

whitedog
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I use a blue enamel coffee pot from the camping department at Mal-Wart. It takes about 10 minutes to brew a pot. It won't make less than about 6 cups at a time because the percolator won't percolate smaller amounts of liquid. That's okay for me, though, because I drink a lot of coffee.

Don't ever boil an enamelware container dry: the enamel will crack and flake off, and you'll have to replace the container. Don't ask me how I know...

Oh, all that's propane powered. I use a 20# bottle of propane about every three or four months. All I use propane for is cooking.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Ditto on the perculator. I have a stainless steel unit. Great on gas stove. I tried it on the grill one day, lol. I think it took 30 minutes to brew. Live and learn....
DigDug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Bodum's also make far superior coffee.

We have tried a number of expensive 110 volt home machines and the bodum always wins for taste. So, combine that with cost and convience you've got a winner. Alough flipping a switch first thing is quite easy

- Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I have an old stove-top percolater I paid 50 cents for at a flea market about 10 years ago...works perfectly. Don't get one made of aluminum, or the coffee will taste funny.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
I say if you can heat up water (microwave or LP range) and you dont mind instand coffee, to just go that rout. That's probably what I'll do with a microwave...

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I'd rather drink the contents of my transmission...come to think of it, that's what instant "coffee" tastes like, anyway.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote