Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
3" stove pipe to 3" stove cap dilemma

Hoping someone has some advice for connecting my 3" double walled stainless stove pipe for cubic mini to the 3" H style Dickinson cap. They are exactly the same size. Would it be ok to cut outer wall of stove pipe so that cap can fit over inner section? I could have the outer wall go right up to the very base of the cap. Thanks.

druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
As long as you seal the joint after, that should work fine.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Skoolie

I have the same issue with my cubic mini. So far I haven't put a cap on mine and the issue with that is when it rains water gets between the outer and inner pipe and leaks out on top of the stove. Good to know the Dickenson H cap is the same size, kinda why I haven't messed with a cap yet. I was thinking if I ran into that issue with a cap that maybe I could take it to a muffler shop and have it swelled just a touch to fit. I guess the problem is if you swell the cap to fit outside the inner stove pipe then you will probably have junk running down between the two pipes. someone needs to build a cap that's double walled and the inside piece goes inside the inner stove pipe and the outer cap piece goes outside the outer stove pipe then things would be sealed correctly. I did find a Frito chip dip can that with a little work will go over the outer stove pipe and seal everything off. If you get a solution figured out be sure and post it, I will do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
frito-lay-fritos-cheese-dip-jalapeno-cheddar-9-oz-2551-g.jpg  
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
I have the same issue with my cubic mini. So far I haven't put a cap on mine and the issue with that is when it rains water gets between the outer and inner pipe and leaks out on top of the stove. Good to know the Dickenson H cap is the same size, kinda why I haven't messed with a cap yet. I was thinking if I ran into that issue with a cap that maybe I could take it to a muffler shop and have it swelled just a touch to fit. I guess the problem is if you swell the cap to fit outside the inner stove pipe then you will probably have junk running down between the two pipes. someone needs to build a cap that's double walled and the inside piece goes inside the inner stove pipe and the outer cap piece goes outside the outer stove pipe then things would be sealed correctly. I did find a Frito chip dip can that with a little work will go over the outer stove pipe and seal everything off. If you get a solution figured out be sure and post it, I will do the same.
I thought of the muffler shop deal, but they wouldn't be able to accurately swell it only a couple thou.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444e v8 turbo
Rated Cap: was 72, now 3
try lowes?

Last Fall a friend bought double wall chimney and cap at Lowes.
xrw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Skoolie

I bought some of the double wall pipe at Lowes when I first got my mini cubic stove but its not the right size to overlap the right direction with the piece on the stove. I actually used it for a bit that way but it kept leaking creosote out onto the top of the stove and making a mess. I went to several wood stove dealers but couldn't ever come up with anything that would work so I finally bit the bullet and bought the double wall stainless pipe that cubic mini sells. Messed around with a couple different vent caps for the top but there again couldn't find anything that would fit inside the inner pipe and have a way to fit over the outside of the outer pipe to keep rain from going down between the double walls and leaking water out on the top of the stove. Cubic mini needs to build a cap that works with their double walled pipe!
Old 06-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

88chevy, without seeing the parts I'll take a stab at brainstorming and may just be stating what you already have thought,
So is the problem that the Mini pipe is smaller than 6 inches and bigger than 5 inches?
perhaps something like this in 6 inch diameter can be screwed to the top of your pipe and protect the gap?
https://www.globalindustrial.com/enl...=AAP_EX-RCGU04
Or if you prefer a spark arrester like I made, you might cut some sheet metal to cover the gap between the inner and outer walls. you may use a wall finisher donut that is 6"I.D and 9"O.D. from ace hardware?
xrw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Skoolie

The piece on the stove is 3 inch and anything I found at Lowes/stove places is the same size as the piece on the stove so it wont go inside of the stove piece. I think the best way to fix the issue is make a custom cap thats the right size.
Attached Thumbnails
stove cap.png  
Old 06-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Diy cap

Here is the cap that I made to include a spark arrester function, and the plate at the top seems to be keeping out all the rain while stationary.
Basicly I cut up a stove pipe and some chicken wire. The top plate attaches to a 2"H cap I bought.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...ture19013.html
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Am I missing something here or are you trying to connect 2-3" pipes? Will this 3" coupling not do the job?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-F...SPC3/205335407
Attached Thumbnails
3%22.jpg