Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

4 inch stove pipe : where can I find it?

I have a Northwoods Mini Woodsman on the way. I had them put a 4” collar on it. I have some 4” black pipe I got locally for a good price. I’m wondering just how much I need to do to safely run it through the roof.

I can only find “B type” in 4” size, but that’s not meant for the heat of a wood stove.

Would there be any advantage to using 304 stainless steel pipe instead of the black pipe (24 gauge)? Do I need to run an insulated piece through the roof? Would a ceiling box work? Could I use a wall thimble for a 5 or 6” size to create some space around the 4” pipe running up through the roof?

I want to do this safely, but I also don’t want to drop major coin on an install kit. Help please. I’ve been internet searching and I’m going cross eyed.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
This is one of those projects that you do not want to cut corners on....so use materials that are specifically for a wood stove, and be sure to have proper clearances. I saw a pic somewhere of a skoolie with a wood stove next to the bed...with the blanket hanging over the what looked like a fire proof panel.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I grew up with wood heat and have had it off and on as an adult. I’m just wanting to do it right and safely.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I'm no help with the stove pipe but I will offer a related suggestion:

BOLT THE STOVE VERY SECURELY TO THE FLOOR.

I have seen the aftermath of improperly secured items in a crash. I had a 40# bag of dog food come through the back window in my truck and snapped the headrest off on the passenger side seat. I am sure glad that the passenger seat was not occupied.

I bought some RV parts from a totalled Monaco RV. I don't know the details of the accident. When I got there the couch was sticking 2-3 feet out of the passenger side windshield. The copilot's seat was MIA....

All of my heavy stuff in my new bus will have 3/16" steel backing plates and be secured with grade 8 hardware.

Off the subject a bit........ Many say that marijuana is not dangerous. I beg to differ. Fact check it.... A man in Texas died as a direct consequence of too much marijuana.

He has almost 1000 pounds packed in a station wagon. Apparently not adequately secured. A DPS officer tried to pull him over for a failed tail light. The driver bolted and a high speed pursuit followed. It ended when the driver lost control and hit a tree. He was crushed by the improperly secured load.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #5

I think you just have to rely on your beliefs.)
margerypiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Normally a wood stove would have a stainless "thimble" that is a double layer with high temp insulation between the two layers. If this is not avalable in 4" then you could use a 4" straight pipe and wrap insulation around it and then put a 6" stainless piece over it for where it goes through the roof. You will need some way to cap the ends where the gap between the 4 and 6 are. Mcmaster- carr has high temp insulation. Might even check to see if they have 4" insulated pipe.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
McMaster Carr rocks for many useful parts!
I've not bought any stove pipe from them but it seems they do have 4" pipe...https://www.mcmaster.com/stove-pipe/...-and-fittings/

Not sure I'd do the single walled pipe for a bouncy skoolie though.
They do have stainless double walled pipe but it only starts in 6", up to 12". You'd better be seated when you look at the pricing for the s/s stuff though...
https://www.mcmaster.com/stove-pipe/...-and-fittings/
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chimney, pipe, roof, wood stove