Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I've got no argument on that. Especially if you use lithium batteries and factor in their cost to mine as well. But, battery tech is advancing rapidly though, so I'm confident we'll have a more eco-friendly solution soon.
I think it might be a while before new battery technology emerges from obscurity. Big companies that are heavily invested in existing technology might buy up the new companies. Anyway, for fridges in a big bus I would get a cheap 120 VAC fridge and spend the savings on more solar panels. If I had a big bus I’d have 2000-3000 watts on it.

Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
A contrarian view:
2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
For a dozen-and-a-half years, we saw no need for a fridge.
We are usually within a few minutes of a grocery, so a 14,657cf side-by-side fridge-freezer with room for decades of left-overs seems... unnecessary.
Then, a couple-three years ago, our chums moved onto a boat, and we acquired their nearly-new SnoMaster 61qt dual-zone.
'Nearly-new' because they never used it after the 'honey-moon period'.
We like our SnoMaster 61qt chest for its efficiency.
Steel-cased with extreme insulation for extended expeditions, it is rated at an extremely low-draw on 12vdc.
Now, for the 'con' part...
We thoroughly enjoyed fiddling with it for a couple-three weeks, then we noticed it slipping into the 'horizontal storage' category, similar to a NordicTrack clothes-rack shoved into the corner of the bedroom.
One issue I have with inventing a new place to live:
* some folks want their mobile residence to resemble a familiar stand-still house
Does it need to?
Here is a different interior:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...362835157.html
(I asked the 'Japanese-inspired' folks to re-post their ad so more skoolieers could imagine something besides duplicating their last flat inside a steel box...)
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, 3-way, dometic, fridge