Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
AC Tubing and Fitting Identification

I’m going to need to add 8’ of AC hose when I mount the condenser on the other side of the bus. Can someone identify what kind of tubing and fittings I need? Would my PEX crimper work to crimp this stuff?

It’s a Carrier AC on a Thomas body built in 2007

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
584D2E57-6C3C-4EC8-8C36-B6C17E2E79FF.jpg  

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there should be some lettering on the hose runs.. to get a hose model number.. those look like reduced barrier clip style hose.. and your PEX pliers will crimp many of these.. most fittings have a cage that goes with those clips.. however if you measure where the dips are in the fitting (you'll see where the O-rings are and where the dip is in the fitting) then you can put those on without the cages.. I have not actually bought any PEX clips to try but it sure looks darn close!!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
The entire length of hose is wrapped with some type of fabric tape so I can’t tell what it is.

Maybe a better approach would be to get a hose shop to make an extension hose with flare fittings that’s appropriate for r134a and just add a bit more refrigerant when I recharge?

Speaking of recharging, I saw that autozone has loaner gauges and vacuum pump, I watched a couple YouTube videos and it looks straight forward. Is this something I can attempt myself?

Is it safe to assume all the oil was recovered when Firestone recovered the refrigerant?

Thanks for your help!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Most often. Very little oil is lost during recovery. If the system was void of leaks the oil charge will still be good.

The fittings are O ring type fittings as opposed to hydraulic flare..

Most often condensers are #8 MOR .. male o ring fittings on the hose.. I’ve seen some that are different sizes.. if there is any model identifier on the condenser the sizes can be looked up. so you could have extensions made easily.
Replace the O rings on any fitting you take off.

Replace the receiver drier if you have the lines apart for more than 30 minutes or so. (Not a bad idea to replace it on any older system but if you don’t want to change it you should be ok as long as you don’t take the pipes apart for long .
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote