Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2022, 07:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Ac unit, block off?

Hello everyone! Curious if anyone knows of some sort of ac unit block off plate? I want to get ride of the factory Coleman rooftops and go with a minitsplit. Is there a product available for this, or am I looking at doing it myself?? Thanks in advance !

TravelingTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
nope

You get to make patch panels to cover the holes.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
There are lots of examples of roof patching on this site. Mostly ppl covering up those leaky emergency roof hatches. Also endless discussions on sealants available. I like butyl tape, B-100, and 3M 4200. Haha, usually 2 of the three for overkill. [emoji3]
I like overkill!!

[emoji3522]Dave

Oh, silicone sux.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm going to get a little crafty with this one. Cool, I'll search for some past patch threads. I'm just looking for some ideas. Also. Any recommendations on brand of mini split?
Old 07-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Compiled KnowledgeBase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingTales View Post
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm going to get a little crafty with this one. Cool, I'll search for some past patch threads. I'm just looking for some ideas. Also. Any recommendations on brand of mini split?
---------------------

I copied the more robust sealing methods from other skoolie.net builders & documented what I did within this thread: convert-hatch-to-ac-and-roof-patch

It's full of detailed descriptions & photos of installing watertight seals on roof patches using rivets & seam sealer.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingTales View Post
Hello everyone! Curious if anyone knows of some sort of ac unit block off plate? I want to get ride of the factory Coleman rooftops and go with a minitsplit. Is there a product available for this, or am I looking at doing it myself?? Thanks in advance !
I'm curious why you want to take out the factory air.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Both units unfortunately have just gotten agged and are not working properly. We have a mini split now and plan to do the installation this weekend. One big reason for wanting to go with a mini split is it has ac and heat. Not to mention it will be so much quieter than the original units. Right now we have a new ge rooftop unit and it is lounder than the original units.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
---------------------

I copied the more robust sealing methods from other skoolie.net builders & documented what I did within this thread: convert-hatch-to-ac-and-roof-patch

It's full of detailed descriptions & photos of installing watertight seals on roof patches using rivets & seam sealer.
Thanks you for the post and link. This really cleared up some thought for me. I tend to always overthink projects lol 😎
Old 07-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

his bus was retrofitted with coleman Camper style A/Cs, they werent engine driven road air units.. so they likely wouldnt have kept the bus super cool on the highway anyway.. a minisplit is am uch better option for electric A/C when it comes to efficiency and being quiet.. they arent a good substitute for good road A/C but as a parked-A/C id prefer minisplit over standard old rooftop
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:18 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
his bus was retrofitted with coleman Camper style A/Cs, they werent engine driven road air units.. so they likely wouldnt have kept the bus super cool on the highway anyway.. a minisplit is am uch better option for electric A/C when it comes to efficiency and being quiet.. they arent a good substitute for good road A/C but as a parked-A/C id prefer minisplit over standard old rooftop
Ah, understood, truly.

When I first got into this conversion thing I rented an RV to get a feel for the experience. We rented a rig out of Reno, and headed across Rt 50 and the Nevada desert in late July. The dash AC did no good in the back, so we cranked up the Onan and ran the ceiling AC unit as we drove down the road.

Quite the experience. The ceiling unit was about the same decibels as standing near the prop of a small airplane. The unit did a perfect job of cooling us down if we stood directly under the vent with upturned faces.

Good AC on the road is the first thing I wrote down on my list of must-haves-and we lucked out when we bought our bus, which has reasonable dash AC and a super-cold unit in the the back.

My mini-split does a far better job than any two of those rooftop AC units-totally agreed on that.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ah, understood, truly.

When I first got into this conversion thing I rented an RV to get a feel for the experience. We rented a rig out of Reno, and headed across Rt 50 and the Nevada desert in late July. The dash AC did no good in the back, so we cranked up the Onan and ran the ceiling AC unit as we drove down the road.

Quite the experience. The ceiling unit was about the same decibels as standing near the prop of a small airplane. The unit did a perfect job of cooling us down if we stood directly under the vent with upturned faces.

Good AC on the road is the first thing I wrote down on my list of must-haves-and we lucked out when we bought our bus, which has reasonable dash AC and a super-cold unit in the the back.

My mini-split does a far better job than any two of those rooftop AC units-totally agreed on that.

everyone on this forum knows how i feel about destroying factory A/C.. you know This year it finally got hot enough outside that I had only one person this spring ask me to help them remove their factory bus A/C systems..

I told them to hang loose.. wait for that first hot day then go drive on the freeway.. westbound into the afternoon sun with that system shut off... (after all every skoolie seems to want ot explore the west and southwest) somewhere around memorial day he called me back and said he wouldnt be needing me to pull out the factory A/C.. that he'd convinced his wife they really do want it...

there are some who truly can yank it out and be fine.. there was a guy here a couple years ago that planned only to use his bus as a snow-ski lodge / transport.. im pretty sure taking out the A/C on his bus didnt cause any issues..
Old 07-27-2022, 09:50 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2002
The AC holes are usually 14"x14" which means a stock roof vent will fit in . That's what I did when I put my split system in. Hope that helps
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I am done installing our mini split system and we love it! The noise is reduced to almost nothing and the air is so crispy. We decided to block out old holes off with moon lights and we also love that. I'm going to make a cover that pulls over and blocks the light when we don't want it. So far though we are loving this new stage of life of our bus. Mini split life!!! Lol
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220730_183336268.jpg  
Old 08-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Outside unit
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220730_183423981.jpg  
Old 08-08-2022, 12:05 PM   #15
Bus Geek

in my opinion minisplits are the way to go for stationary A/C.. ive been running them in my house for close to 14 years (in ducted form.. I dont like the wall thingie in a house)... and they are much more comfortable and way more efficient than the 4-year-old regular central air unit they replaced. I finally have to replace one as it was smacked by lightning and in china-fashion the circuit boards are no longer available.. a newer version of the board exists but the connections dont match.. so name-brand unit is replacing it but still going to stay inverter-split