Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Advice on mounting a stove/fireplace

Hey guys and gals need some advice on how to go about securing my stove!

So here's some of the details, I've got a Ben Franklin style stove with 3 legs those legs are out the window because there is no plausible way to secure it with 3 legs and for it to be stable, second problem is that there is no flat space to throw a bolt through them besides the fact that the previous owner broke one of the legs so I don't have much faith in them... my idea thus far is to use 4 attachment points that are already drilled into the stove on 4 corners and also add 2 legs out front on the hath area that's about 6" deep

My idea thus far for legs is to use a 1" piece of box steel and fill in the top with metal and tap it for the bolt inside the stove to secure to, on the bottom side of the 1" bar stock I plan on using a piece of flat steel 4" long and welding the 1" bar stock center to that making sort of a T that will be upside down where I can secure 2 lag bolts into my base

So everything so far for me thus far seems good but my questions come into play when my dad and I discuss how high to make the legs to be safe from my base and then another issue is that these legs will be made of iron, iron will conduct the heat and I'm not sure how hot they will get, furthermore the lag bolts I mentioned above will be secured into 3/4 plywood with concrete board over top of it for my fire retardant layer and then some decorative layer on top yet to be determined, I'm worried about the leg heat but also the heat from those lags that are attached to those legs that are going right through wood...

I am mounting my stove over top of the wheel wells so securing it to the iron bus floor won't work...

Please confirm or deny my fears and tell me what a safe hight for the stove may be

Ziggnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
The legs on my metal stove are 11inches long, one inch diameter and about 12ga thick, at 11 inches away from the lets get warm but probably less than 100 degrees, nicely warm not hot at all.

I guess you could drill a few holes in the legs for ventilation, but the best idea would be to fill up the stove and burn it to see how hot the legs become after an hour or two.

Since mine sits 6 inches from an non-heat resistant insulated wall I put 1 inch of air insulation and 1 inch of rock wool insulation, It sits 12inches above the base and 18in from the ceiling, I also added the same inch of air and rock wool insulation on all sides. The walls and floor dont get hot at all, it is the ceiling that gets hot- really hot.