Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: International CE300
Appliances Feedback - RV versus Apartment

What are your thoughts and experiences for using apartment appliances for a Skoolie versus the RV appliances? Pro's and Con's ... and/or challenges??

Stoshtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I've done both. In my MCI 9 I used household appliances--big frig and re-jetted for propane natural gas stove and oven. In my little Superior I went with the drop in miniaturized propane stove/oven and a small under counter 120v frig. Both work well in their respective applications.

I based my decision purely on available real estate. Both provide the same general creature comforts. Of course I can only roast a 5 pound chicken in the little bus whereas a 14 pound turkey would be no problem in the MCI.
Jack

Big Brother:

Little sister with wifey at the helm--YUM!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I've done both. In my MCI 9 I used household appliances--big frig and re-jetted for propane natural gas stove and oven. In my little Superior I went with the drop in miniaturized propane stove/oven and a small under counter 120v frig. Both work well in their respective applications.

I based my decision purely on available real estate. Both provide the same general creature comforts. Of course I can only roast a 5 pound chicken in the little bus whereas a 14 pound turkey would be no problem in the MCI.
Jack

Big Brother:

Little sister with wifey at the helm--YUM!
14 pound bird! That's big bragging going on here
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I think the one a household appliance I would do if I had the room would be an apartment sized range.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Oscar1, That's a full sized household range in the MCI--certainly big enough for a 14# turkey. I can't imagine eating that much turkey let alone roasting it!
Jack
Old 05-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

All good info...Thanks. Sounds like if there is room, then apartment size appliances works, gas needs to convert to propane that's the only conversion....all other work. How is energy consumption if you go solar and batteries?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Oscar1, That's a full sized household range in the MCI--certainly big enough for a 14# turkey. I can't imagine eating that much turkey let alone roasting it!
Jack
Oh but so much fun to try! Turkey coma here we come
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

How about tankless propane water heaters?!?! Need RV grade or can you use residential?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
each situation varies.... I am doing RV appliances. fridge will run off of propane where most residential versions do not (I am sure there are some perhaps that is why I said most). Propane and Natural gas appliances require different jets. if you get a gas stove make sure it will run your specific type of gas.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I haven't heard the RV grade nomenclature before. I'd say once again it's just a scale of size.
Jack
Old 05-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Understood....figured nomenclature of "RV" would be self-explanatory as in smaller sized. Guess, wasn't sure if some apartment size washer/dryer needed minimum flowrate for hot water that a RV tanklesa heater would achieve only.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:17 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Though, for cooking, an induction hot plate (or two) seems to be the way people are going. Propane fridges are getting a lot less popular because they are problematic.

It's all about choice, and that choice is fuel. Solar can power a reasonable electric kitchen with a reasonable solar set up.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:30 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Concluding that we might be choosing apartment electric fridge, apartment stove/oven converted to propane and apartment washer/dryer...with installing solar. Thoughts???
Old 05-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Fridge and washer are easy to run on solar, use natural solar "hanging outside to dry" I use induction cooktop microwave and toaster oven for cooking, all can run on solar but larger system is needed. Or I simply use a 2000W inverter gen, handy for cloudily days and for me cooking that can't be handled on the little propane grill or Coleman stove outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshtan View Post
Concluding that we might be choosing apartment electric fridge, apartment stove/oven converted to propane and apartment washer/dryer...with installing solar. Thoughts???
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have owned multiple travel trailers and they all started out 100% RV appliances. As I owned them I changed out some of the appliances with residential.

When I built my first bus I used mostly residential except the fridge and water heater. I later swapped the fridge for an apartment fridge.

On my current build I am going 100% residential.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
Though, for cooking, an induction hot plate (or two) seems to be the way people are going.
I wouldn’t go this route unless I had a super giant solar array/battery storage setup and even then I think I’d hedge with propane for periods with less sun.

Quote:
Propane fridges are getting a lot less popular because they are problematic.
I agree. I grew up with RVs that always had propane fridges. Pilot lights went out frequently, never got cold enough.

OP: Are you going to be in RV parks or otherwise tethered all the time?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Sometimes off-grid, large size solar grid gonna be installed...was not really thinking of propane fridge, more concerned about size and energy usage with residential appliances.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #18
Almost There

Being a Boat guy first I went with several marine appliances. Just installed my second ISOTherm refrigerator a couple of weeks back. Had one for years with not a lick of trouble on the boat. Runs 12VDC /110/240 ac.
Same for cooking using a drop in propane cooktop along with a small drawer range.

Nothing beats them except at price. You will have sticker shock so the rule is look for deals. I waited over a year as my last fridge was somewhat serviceable and the marine market is trashed right now with Covid or what have you. I paid a little over 1,500 for the fridge that goes for 2400 before.

In a mobile home/bus they will last a lot longer than in a boat with salt air 24/7 so price works out to be cheaper in the long run.

Also these things are designed for heavy seas which RV and Home stuff isn't. They are made to be anchored down.
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have owned multiple travel trailers and they all started out 100% RV appliances. As I owned them I changed out some of the appliances with residential.

When I built my first bus I used mostly residential except the fridge and water heater. I later swapped the fridge for an apartment fridge.

On my current build I am going 100% residential.
My only RV appliance is a propane stove/oven salvaged from a travel trailer. What generally goes wrong with these?
Old 05-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My only RV appliance is a propane stove/oven salvaged from a travel trailer. What generally goes wrong with these?

Operator errors leading to grease fires, oven controls malfunction and can go boom if you don't pay attention all the time it is on.

Yachts that have been damaged or not seaworthy can be had cheap if you check around. Full of appliances and other goodies, electrical, plumbing, cabinets, horns etc.

John