Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins
Rated Cap: 37'
Applying Seam Sealer in the cold?

Hey folks - have read what I think is every last post on seam sealer and were pretty confident we would go with Dynatron 550 or Sikaflex 221 (and 220+ for the window glass).

And then ... we realized we're sealing in the dead of winter in VA (no flexibility on that schedule).

We were told by 3M and Sika representatives that those products wont work in the cold - its between 30-40 degrees during the day, and 20's at night.

But then distributers have said that as long as the goo is warm (like has been stored inside the house), when we pull the tube out to apply, it will cure just fine in cold weather.

What is everyone's experience?

We were about to order Sika Arctic 2c, but its a bucket, and I have to use it all up in 3 hours before it begins to harden too much to suck up into the baulk gun, and there is just no way I, as an experienced skoolier, can manage that.

Sevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
As long as the tube (of Dynatron) is pre-warmed to room temperature it seems to work fine even when applied to colder metal (in the 30s, say), although it takes longer than normal to fully cure (like days).
Old 12-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins
Rated Cap: 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
As long as the tube (of Dynatron) is pre-warmed to room temperature it seems to work fine even when applied to colder metal (in the 30s, say), although it takes longer than normal to fully cure (like days).
This is good to know. We ended up going with Dymonic 100, were convinced by distributers that this was best for cold application. The Sika Arctic was baulk caulk with a 3 hour time frame per bucket, and as an inexperienced applicant, I could see that day ending with an unsealed bus and me in tears.

Have been demo-ing for 5 straight days in below 30 degree weather, still cleaning these aluminum window frames with their FOUR different types of sealants. I think each project is my least favorite, until I get to the next one So very much looking forward to getting these windows back in (and one step closer to removing my full face respirator!)
Sevier is offline   Reply With Quote