Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
ARB Fridge/Freezer

I was doing some looking, and these look pretty sweet, especially as a single person who doesn't need a huge fridge/freezer to worry about. Anyone actually using these? Pros? Cons?

Fridges

FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
What you're looking at was meant to put in a jeep. The small ones are good if you absolutely need to refrigerate medications. Most folks that want a refrigerator in a bus have room for at least an apartment size fridge. It all depends on what you need.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
In Elfie we use a freezer similar to that one , works great , uses little electricity, next to that we use an under counter size 12 volt fridge with a freezer compartment. I think it is a norcold. It uses a danfoss BD35 compressor and works on 12 volt. We have added insulation on three sides and that has helped reduce the electricity consumption.

We like this combination so that we have redundancy and also the form factor of two smaller is better then one large one.

Although our solar easily supports these fridges even on cloudy days. We experimented with the fridge of during the night and then it stays cold enough that ice packs remains ice .

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
ARB is made for people with "jeep money".
Us regular folk just get the same cooler without the ARB logo.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Err...Not too sure I've ever seen a "cooler" that you plug in and maintains a set temperature. To me, that's a "refrigerator" or a "freezer." If you know of another source to get a similar item, I'd love to know of it!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
We like this combination so that we have redundancy and also the form factor of two smaller is better then one large one.
Thanks, J! This is one reason that I might consider something like this. Even getting the larger ones, being able to put them on slides side by side under my kitchen counters would save room in other areas. Another thought would be to get a "regular" small fridge for the bus, and using one of these as a freezer when needed.

The other thing that caught my eye is the notion that they don't have to be leveled. I've read in several places that RV fridges have to be level in order to work well, and I won't always be able to do that.

Another thought is that if you're boondocking a fair distance from your food source, you could easily pull one of these out and put it in your car to take to the store, so your food doesn't thaw out/overheat on the way back.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know your experience with it!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Deisel
Rated Cap: 6 carbon units 1 drag car
Quote:

What is the alternative for the ARB? I am looking to add a fridge to the "Dragbus". I like what the ARB has to offer but this is a part time thing and only needed for the days of racing.

I like the idea Jack Black has of 2 small vs one big. Even though it is a long flat nose most of the room is taken up where the car is parked.
produster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Not cheap, but if you need real fridge and real freezer capabilities that run on either 12 or 110v, check out a company called Whynter. These are not fancy coolers but the real deal. I have spoken with some local Boat People who have them and they love'em. You can get just a fridge, just a freezer or a combo unit. All are chest type.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzWantsABus View Post
Err...Not too sure I've ever seen a "cooler" that you plug in and maintains a set temperature. To me, that's a "refrigerator" or a "freezer." If you know of another source to get a similar item, I'd love to know of it!
Coleman has been selling one for years dude.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-4...ilver/21156022

Old 05-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Gensis
We are going with a Whynter or Truckfridge chest style fridge freezer. The key is if your living in your bus. If its for vacation and camping a smaller one should work great but if I were to live in it I would want an appartment fridge.

Either way I would recommend a chest style fridge or freezer. They run more efficient since when you open the door the cold air doesn't roll onto the floor leaving you to recool the same space.

We also will most likely have a cooler on board for drinks and of course a sink so our freezer/friedge is destined for ICE CREAM!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
Bus Geek

I'm going with a Whynter too. The dual zone.

Can't have a Road Trip without ice cream!...and little chocolate donuts.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Can't have a Road Trip without ice cream!...and little chocolate donuts.

This.

Thanks for the info about the Whynter, too. This is what I was hoping for. I figured there was probably other similar products out there.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Coleman has been selling one for years dude.
Dudette. ;) Thanks for the link! I figured there was other stuff out there...

I am most interested in people who have actually used one (of any variety). This sort of thing strikes me as something that *SEEMS* like a good idea, but in practice, maybe it's really not so great. Or maybe it's good for short-term or part-time, but sucks as a full-time thing. Can they really be a bonafide freezer, or is it more just of a "really cold fridge"?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzWantsABus View Post
Dudette. ;) Thanks for the link! I figured there was other stuff out there...

I am most interested in people who have actually used one (of any variety). This sort of thing strikes me as something that *SEEMS* like a good idea, but in practice, maybe it's really not so great. Or maybe it's good for short-term or part-time, but sucks as a full-time thing. Can they really be a bonafide freezer, or is it more just of a "really cold fridge"?
The guys at the tiny house shop down the road have been using the Coleman for years.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
Bus Geek

One of the "boat folks" said their unit will freeze anything you put in it in about 30 minutes from starting it up (they shut it down when not on board). Also said they have kept it running around the clock for about a month on long junkets with zero issues while the fridge side stayed at what they set it at (both sides are adjustable). The others pretty much echoed the same story. Sold me. We'll see.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #16
Skoolie

Big difference between a piezoelectric plate cooler like the Coleman, and a real compressor fridge/freezer.

Open Box Direct often has deals on scratch and dent fridge/freezers like the ARB. Brands vary, but some may be the ARB without the label as mentioned above. I believe they go as big as 80 quarts, pretty big.

There's an Edgestar 63 quart model there now for $356 (use code "welcome10" for 10% off):

https://www.openboxdirect.com/fp630o...r/FP630OB.html

Page should still show up once the last one sells, it'll just say "sold out" or something.

I have no affiliation. Don't own one. Have just seen their website mentioned elsewere.
ennonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
One of the "boat folks" said their unit will freeze anything you put in it in about 30 minutes from starting it up (they shut it down when not on board). Also said they have kept it running around the clock for about a month on long junkets with zero issues while the fridge side stayed at what they set it at (both sides are adjustable). The others pretty much echoed the same story. Sold me. We'll see.
That's definitely a ringing endorsement! I am certainly going to keep these options in mind. Thanks, Tango!