Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2023, 10:52 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Auxiliary Diesel Tank

Iím moving towards a diesel heater installation and I donít have the bandwidth to drop the tank right now.

I built two hatches in the side of the bus, one on each side. I made a box for a propane tank on one side, but the other side is unused. Iíve been thinking that Iím going to use it for the diesel heater tank.

Are there any good rules for a fuel tank installation I should be including in the installation?

Thanks

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:23 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hey Danjo, I've been able to use a pneumatic right-angle drill and a stubby drill bit to drill the necessary hole for the smaller diameter pick-up tubes, then thread the hole, without dropping the tank. Because the tank's below the frame, I've always found enough room between the tank and the floor to do this and have yet to need to drop a tank. Yes, if they have the floor access hole I go through there...but if not, I do this in place.

Using this pick-up tube:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 9.21.30 AM.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	75221

I know I didn't answer your actual question about tank installation rules...but, if you want to go back to Plan A this might be an option which doesn't require dropping the tank.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Is it a bulkhead fitting where I need to reach into the tank?

It’s a poly tank on mine and I was thinking a self tapping collar bolt with a set screw would be a good solution
Old 12-04-2023, 12:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Is it a bulkhead fitting where I need to reach into the tank?

Itís a poly tank on mine and I was thinking a self tapping collar bolt with a set screw would be a good solution
It's got a threaded portion and I'll bet you could tap and thread it right into your poly tank. In fact, on a poly tank, you might not even need to thread it...I'll bet you could thread it right into a properly sized hole you drill.

Drill a hole on top of the tank, near an edge where you can reach with a right-angle drill, cut your pick-up tube to length (a few inches shorter than the tank depth), slide the tube into the hole at an angle...and if need be, bend it into an arc then straighten it as you insert it, thread it into the hole you drilled (and, maybe, tapped?). That's it...no reaching into the tank.

If you use the other pick-up tube I normally use, and which I showed in a video, you don't even need to reach into the tank with that one. By drilling a larger hole, and elongating it a bit with a file or rasp, you can insert that one from the top. For a single heater, though, the tube I shared the photo of works just fine and the hole you need to drill is pretty small.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I would also mention on drilling into poly, look straight at your item with threads, from the insertion end, and compare a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the width of the threads, but as thick as the core of the item you are screwing into for sizing. Threads will grind into the poly and this is okay, but you only want the hole as big as the core of what you are inserting, not the threads.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:23 PM   #6
Bus Geek

If I go that route I’m definitely going to test on a bucket or similar.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

And thanks guys. The “Thank You” button isn’t available on the mobile page that I know of
Old 12-04-2023, 01:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
If I go that route I’m definitely going to test on a bucket or similar.
It's simple to do. Once you've done it a couple of times it's no problem. And sure, proceed to practice on a bucket.

If after doing it, it still feels lose, you can always use teflon tape to wrap the threads to give it a better seal if your job wasn't enough or you picked too large of a drill bit.

https://www.amazon.com/DOPKUSS-Plumb...1714993&sr=8-3
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:03 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

For the diesel heater tank, make sure it's securely mounted, no crazy vibrations. Also, good call on the hatch idea Ė accessibility is key.
frxmoney is offline   Reply With Quote