Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #21
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Whatever you get, bolt it down.

If the feet don't lend themselves to that, make some brackets.

I've seen too many pictures of what appear to be free-standing stoves to not worry about their potential in an accident.
Thank you, Twigg.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Hi Debbie

Honestly I don't recommend a wood stove for heat in a bus. The antique stoves are cute but largely unsafe. The household wood stoves are really to hot for a bus and don't like being run on low. Beyond that there's the issue of wood storage so it stays dry, as well as the chainsaw for cutting and an axe for splitting. You will change your mind when you're splitting firewood in the rain or snow.

There are some more appropriately sized stoves that are designed for boats, but you've got to wonder where you get firewood in a boat. Those stoves are also quite expensive. Some of them do have ovens.

What cured me of the wood stove idea was the thought of taking down the stove pipe every time you want to drive your bus somewhere. Also you can't burn wood while in town and apparently some campsites don't appreciate people with wood stoves, not to mention the hippie bus stigma.

I've been planning to make a wood stove that's the right size for a bus, but mostly to burn newspaper and junk mail. It could also burn wood in an emergency if wood was available while away from home.

I'm sure you're getting the general gist that wood heat would be pretty difficult to maintain if you're away from home. A chainsaw is not part of my life anymore, and it's a dangerous tool to start using. I've discovered the simplicity of electric heat while doing this bus build, but that's not available while I'm traveling either. My theory was to go where the weather is warmer and not have to deal with the heating issue at all. I haven't exactly done any traveling yet, and it's another cold winter here in NW Oregon. In fact it's time for snow.

When I had a wood stove in here it ended up being used for a countertop most of the time. When I finally stooped to storing things inside the stove I decided it was time to let it go. Others have installed wood stoves with apparent success, but I'm wondering if they travel much.

California is burning down. You'd better get your bus out of there.
Okaaaaay ;) sniffle sniffle. Thank you, Robin.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You can still try it with a real wood stove. I'm guessing you'll change your mind after a couple years. Pick up an inexpensive stove and try it for a while before you buy a fancy smancy expensive stove.

If my test stove works good I'll hook you up with one. I'm planning a wall mounted lightweight stove made from one of the larger ammo cans and a few fire bricks.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiejay4444 View Post
Okaaaaay ;) sniffle sniffle. Thank you, Robin.

I understand the desire for a woodstove, we have one in the house. I thought about it for the bus but there are issues, as outlined above.

You might consider a blown-air diesel heater of the Webasto, Eberspacher type.

Planar make a well-reviewed unit that is cheaper than most mini-woodstoves, and probably easier to use.

One or two of them will go in our bus.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, and those are thermostatically controlled. From what I understand it uses about a half gallon of diesel per night.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
You can still try it with a real wood stove. I'm guessing you'll change your mind after a couple years. Pick up an inexpensive stove and try it for a while before you buy a fancy smancy expensive stove.

If my test stove works good I'll hook you up with one. I'm planning a wall mounted lightweight stove made from one of the larger ammo cans and a few fire bricks.
Thank you, Robin. My friend, fellow Skoolie sent me this:

Watch "Fireplace - Full HD - 10 hours crackling logs for Christmas" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ZY3J3Y_OU0w

Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
I understand the desire for a woodstove, we have one in the house. I thought about it for the bus but there are issues, as outlined above.

Planar make a well-reviewed unit that is cheaper than most mini-woodstoves, and probably easier to use.

I'm going to check those out. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We installed a Cubic Grizzly last weekend and got to test it out on Tuesday. The outside temp was 35. Before we lit the stove the temp inside the bus was 45 (solar heating, we have all the original windows). I had the stove going for about 3.5 hours at 600 degrees and the temp in the bus stayed around 67. We have 3" of rigid foam insulation below the windows but the original windows and ceiling are intact. We are going to put up sliding insulated panels for the windows as soon as we are sure they're no longer leaking, but even without them the stove did okay. It's all bolted in and we plan to just cap the chimney, so hopefully traveling with it won't be an issue. There is a pic of what we did on the blog Drew started https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.co...the-woodstove/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Robin, I saw a wall mount wood stove just this week. It was a little thing but bigger than an ammo cam. That better be a 30mm or bigger ammo can.

Debbie, are we heating for survival or heating to knock the chill out of the air? I want a little stove in my bus. Not sure how much real estate I'm willing to give up for it. As my bus is an empty shell, I still have time to decide. I can find the link for the wall mount if you but it'll take some digging.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
This is what I'm thinking for primary heat.

Quote:
I'll have to look that up.

Quote:
1 or 2 of which? And are 2 really needed?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Picture of the roof boot thing?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Picture of the roof boot thing?
We used this, Drew painted it black.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
buschimney.jpeg  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
We used this, Drew painted it black. I'll post a pic of our chimney when I can.
That (the link) works.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
My 2 cents for Debbie.

I went woodstove in my bus and glad I did.
I am not lazy and cut my own wood.
Don't need an axe onboard, maybe a hatchet for kindling.
I got a great used stove for $50.00, airtight, firebrick, and cat converter, pretty compact for a woodstove nut will hold enough wood for a 4-5 hour burn running it wide open. At that time it is full of redhot coals which keep on radiating.
I have no problem reloading it through the night if necessary.
it is uniquely fastened through the floor at the rear end and the chimney goes out the back wall, not the roof. Works great that way.
I can/do drive with it running no problem. My chimney will not blow off on the road due to wind upon it. I get stronger winds where I am usually parked at home.
I put enough wood onboard each day to burn and fill as required while the rest dries out a bit until it's time for that to burn.
I have wood storage underneath if I need but usually have my trailer in tow when boondocking, so can carry many cords of wood.Free wood, not paying for fossill fuels.
There are many naysayers here which is fine but if you want a woodstove, do it or have it done . I have tips if you need.
Mine heats water, keeps me and my birds in tropical heat, and great for cooking, pizza, pot of homemade soup, stews etc.
Wouldn't survive without it or be a bus owner either.
How boring is a bus with no woodstove, let me count the ways. I wouldn't own one without a woodstove.
Many myths out there Debbie but from inexperienced people, go girl!

John
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
We used this, Drew painted it black.
That's a fair sized chimney; you aren't going to go driving down the road with that up are you?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That's a fair sized chimney; you aren't going to go driving down the road with that up are you?
That's the plan. It's a 3' section of pipe, 2' of it is inside the bus, the last foot is sticking up. We plan to pull the very top piece off and replace it with a cap when we're moving so we don't get blow back into the stove. Does that sound like a bad idea?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Deb,
Forgot to mention, someone in one of the stove threads mentioned using pallets for firewood. All of the pallets used in the US are kiln dried to kill bugs. They are supposed to be branded I believe. They are often made of oak. If you come across any from overseas, make sure they too are kiln dried vs. sprayed.

Won't help you when you're out in the desert but neither will a chainsaw!! You can't get to the desert without passing some kind of industrial park tho. There's a Walmart, Target, something damn near everywhere. Easy,free, manageable firewood.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's the plan. It's a 3' section of pipe, 2' of it is inside the bus, the last foot is sticking up. We plan to pull the very top piece off and replace it with a cap when we're moving so we don't get blow back into the stove. Does that sound like a bad idea?
Nope. Sounds like what everyone else does. John there is the smartest of the bunch with the chimney going out the back. Not sure about location the stove somewhere that is not centerish of the bus tho.

You buy/make the cap yet? I'm thinking something on a hinge. Pull the chimney, flip the hinge. Maybe a clasp to keep it from rattling. That way I can't lose the cap.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

I'm planning to do some sort of small woodstove. I'm calling it "backup heat". Yeah, that's the ticket. My plan is to use those compressed sawdust bricks that you can buy at the box hardware stores. They look like wood pellets, only the size of a brick. You can get the same stuff in a cylindrical form factor as well.

They're nice. Lean 2 in a teepee formation, stick one sheet of newsprint crumple under the teepee, light it off, and you've got 3-4 hours of fire. $8 +/- for a box of 24 IIRC. They are square and come in a box so they're clean.

Also, didn't someone wander through the other day with a link to a maritime parts supplier that had a few chimney caps that were supposed to prevent blowback and rain in the fire chamber? Was the name Dickenson?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:
You buy/make the cap yet? I'm thinking something on a hinge. Pull the chimney, flip the hinge. Maybe a clasp to keep it from rattling. That way I can't lose the cap.
Haven't thought it all the way out yet, but my initial thoughts were to go with something like this test plug. I'm thinking the whole thing will pretty discreet once we put the deck up top.
Attached Thumbnails
black-oatey-stops-drains-drain-plugs-33402-64_1000.jpg