Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Also, didn't someone wander through the other day with a link to a maritime parts supplier that had a few chimney caps that were supposed to prevent blowback and rain in the fire chamber? Was the name Dickenson?
My concern with the chimney isn't blowback nor rain. I don't want to drive with a 2 foot pipe sticking out of the roof. If nothing else it changes my clearance significantly. May not affect fuel mileage but I'm not sure how well it will stand up to 60 mph wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Haven't thought it all the way out yet, but my initial thoughts were to go with something like this test plug. I'm thinking the whole thing will pretty discreet once we put the deck up top.
Same with the cap. My concern isn't discreet. If you don't like how my bus looks, then quit looking at it. P.S. Don't forget to piss off too. Damn uppity RV'ers. That cap will get lost for sure. And not for sure but might not work without welding some kind of flange on the roof. If all it's doing is biting the sheet metal of the roof, it may not stay in place. If it bounces off the roof, aim for the windshield of that RV'er.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
My chimney has a rain cap, no blowback as you people speak of. Everything is screwed together and won't let go in the wind.
The stovepipe goes thru a thimble in the back wall into a 90* bend and up just clearing the height of the roof of the bus. I put two eyebolts into the outside of the bus each side of the upright section. Added a few chain links to the eyebolts and then took a stiff spring and hooked the chain to the spring each end to hold the pipe. It hasn't moved at all in 4 years of use. No problem going down the road with or without the fire burning if you build it right and strong. No cops ever question it so no problem there. They think it is diesel exhaust I think.
I also don't use insulated pipe. Too much heat goes up the chimney then and big creosote producers. Just ordinary black stovepipe.
I just loaded the stove for the afternoon as I have running hot and cold water onboard now. It is cold and blowing, snow expected today.
My thermometer sitting on the stove top is reading 365*F at present.
I have two wall unit a/c's mounted on each end of the bus up as high as I could go. Turn the fan on LOW at the back one near the stove and the heat blows forward. Now that is comfortable.
I guess you build your bus to the conditions you expect more of. Up here it is cooler than down in the states mostly all the time but does get terribly warm too. That's what I hate, summer heat and humidity, bring on the cold. I'm good for -40F anytime, anywhere inn this thing.

I am close to interior finishing and will then ave time to post detailed pics of my construction. Until then I don't have the time to post and explain.

John
Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
This is what I'm thinking for primary heat.

I'll have to look that up.

1 or 2 of which? And are 2 really needed?
I have a 40' Thomas.

One of the biggest Planar units might be enough, or two of the smaller ones.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I also don't use insulated pipe. Too much heat goes up the chimney then and big creosote producers. Just ordinary black stovepipe.
I dunno if I believe that. If you have a 3" pipe and the inner diameter of my insulated pipe is also 3", there's only so much heat and gas that can go up it. I don't see how one can be any different than the other.

Quote:
That's what I hate, summer heat and humidity, bring on the cold. I'm good for -40F anytime, anywhere inn this thing.
That's why I don't live in FL any more. I dunno about -40°F tho. I'm good to about 0° then I notice it's getting COLD.

Quote:
I am close to interior finishing and will then ave time to post detailed pics of my construction. Until then I don't have the time to post and explain.

John
In the meantime, got a floor plan handy? I do like the rear of the bus exit but where's your bedroom? I've got an RE bus so bed will be back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I have a 40' Thomas.

One of the biggest Planar units might be enough, or two of the smaller ones.
40' BB. Is Planar spelled correctly? I didn't see any links for the manufacturer or resellers when I searched.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Insulated stovepipe gives off little radiant heat compared to blackpipe that is not insulated. Therefore, you are heating the surrounding air, not sending it all up the chimney.
I don't need or want a full size bed, wife passed away, just me and 4 birds now. Maybe 2or 3 other humans travel with me and a dog. We aren't huge bodies or tall, well, one is 6'2". One drives all night, one makes coffee and rolls, the other tends the fire. Who needs beds?

Floor plan, hmm
left side of bus from rear
3' from back of bus to woodstove. Stove is 3" from the wall and about 24"deep.
Metal wall between stove and toilet area, about 3 more feet there for room to drop your drawers etc, hate cramped crappers.
Wall enclosing one end of a full bathtub. Bathtub is next. Has low ceiling with storage or single bunk above. I used fireplace doors for shower/tub doors.
Next is kitchen area, shelves, sink from a beauty salon(deep) one. Cupboards overhead 8 feet extend about roughly.
Next is mini-fridge, then small freezer and about 2 feet space for boots and coat hanging takes you right to the driver's seat.

Right hand side of bus from back door forward.

small shelf area then a leather seat from my Suburban. This is right across the centre aisle from the woodstove.
Wall to separate that seat from a closet, also part of the bathroom area.
That closet door is also one bathroom door to make bathroom even more roomy. Beyong the closet is my indoor water storage. 100 gallons, pump etc and service area for plumbing, hot water tank and one original bus heater without a fan.
Moving forward, my bird cage..about 5 feet long, full height and half the bus width. Made from gazebo walls and door etc.
Then, a single bed that serves as a couch.
Ahead of that is one regular schoolbus seat I left because of the strength it gave to stop any movement forward of anything under hard braking.
I left the entrance structure too, grab bars etc and put a wood door to separate the driver's area from the rest of the bus.
So far that's about it but have many ideas left to do.
Generator is built into a box I framed off the back bumper for now but will be putting it on my 22' trailer with fuel, firewood, 275 gallon water tank and my tractor. There is just not enough space in any bus for everything. I like to carry my tools etc, parts, and even a tent. The trailer can serve as my deck also when parked, so lawn chairs etc can be taken with me.

It's been a long time building for me. Kicked out of 2 spots for working on the bus, good now where I am. Had issues with my eyes so had to drop everything till that got fixed.
And using barnboard throughout takes time to figure out the best use of materials on hand.
But, I am happy, it's a good running CAT, and built the way I want.
You have no idea how many hours went into the design and build. Build something one day, stare at it, rip it out and do over quite a bit.
The end, lol, sorry so long, off topic I suppose but just answering floor plan query.

John
Old 12-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Whole lotta words and not a lotta pictures/drawings.

I get that insulated is double walled but that's to keep you from burning yourself. I'm ok with "you'll learn eventually". I don't see how that's going to affect the inside of the main pipe tho.

I've got a gf that will be along. I'm opting for a full or queen bed. Her dogs (2) who take up more than half of a king bed as it is now WILL NOT BE SLEEPING ON THE BED!! I might could put the wood stove nearish the foot of the bed and run the exhaust at 30° to the rear of the bus. I wonder how far the rear lights are from the side of the bus? Could use one of those as the exit.

I think I'll keep my birds outside the windows. I could take my fish but I don't think he'd like the vibrations much. Hopefully he kicks the bucket before the bus is done. He's already 15 yrs old. Damn things (yellow tang) supposedly go as much as 20+ yrs in aquariums. He's outlived everyone else I had so he's earned his place. Once he's gone, I'm done with pets for awhile.

I get the long build. I've had my bus since Apr. It's an empty shell. Just about ready to jack the roof up. 6'2" full time just won't work.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Bob; A longer stove pipe run adds a significant amount of heat. That said, I wouldn't have a bed very close to a wood stove, even on low.

John; I'm not lazy or ignorant of wood stoves.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Bob, I did use the rear left upper flashing area to run the pipe outside.

Robin, must be your creative descriptions and writings that led to those thoughts. You might do this, you might try that. That's the difference, I did it and call you on it.

John
Old 12-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #49
Bus Geek

True, there are innumerable possibilities for wood stoves.

For anyone that hasn't had a wood stove before I'd probably recommend a pellet stove. Debbie didn't state her experience level with wood stoves so I assumed the worst. A wood stove would give the heat and dry air needed, but most people think of wood stoves as being economical by using free wood. I'm never going to load my bus up with pallets, and pellets or other compressed wood is considerably costly over a long period of time. I think there are to many unknowns in this subject.

We're good.

I think we're comparing apples and oranges. There is certainly a blurred line on this subject.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #50
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
True, there are innumerable possibilities for wood stoves.

For anyone that hasn't had a wood stove before I'd probably recommend a pellet stove. Debbie didn't state her experience level with wood stoves so I assumed the worst. A wood stove would give the heat and dry air needed, but most people think of wood stoves as being economical by using free wood. I'm never going to load my bus up with pallets, and pellets or other compressed wood is considerably costly over a long period of time. I think there are to many unknowns in this subject.

We're good.

I think we're comparing apples and oranges. There is certainly a blurred line on this subject.
Ha! Robin, I had a wood burning stove in California...in my house ... had to keep it going all winter...snow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #51
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
My chimney has a rain cap, no blowback as you people speak of. Everything is screwed together and won't let go in the wind.
The stovepipe goes thru a thimble in the back wall into a 90* bend and up just clearing the height of the roof of the bus.

John
Thank You BlackJohn for messing-up my never finalized plan.

You are a heck of a salesman- I waffled on the wood stove, hate the hole in the roof..., but you got me re-rethinking my plan....

thanks for the great stove info (should be sticky for stove), Pics would def be appreciated
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #52
Bus Geek

So you are stove knowlegable. That's good. You also know the mess of having one of those in the house when it's time to clean the stove.

Personally I'd welcome the heat but I didn't want to bring that mess into my bus. I'm a bad enough housekeeper already. And then, as stated, while on the road I'm not going to want to stop and cut firewood. That's why I'm trying to make a small lightweight trash burning stove I can burn my paper garbage in and maybe use it for heat in an emergency.

You want to slow cook a pot of beans on the stove, don't you? I hear you. I like to bake, and my toaster oven has done better than expected. Fresh bread anyone? Home made pizza? Biscuits? The point is when I'm traveling I want to make good time, but part of the time these buses are stationary cabins. I can't say I've figured out the solution yet. I'm still addicted to the grid.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #53
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

You are a heck of a salesman- I waffled on the wood stove, hate the hole in the roof..., but you got me re-rethinking my plan....

thanks for the great stove info (should be sticky for stove), Pics would def be appreciated
Indeed, do you have photos to share? Also, do you take it apart every time you move? Thank you so much for your response.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
So you are stove knowlegable. That's good. You also know the mess of having one of those in the house when it's time to clean the stove.

Personally I'd welcome the heat but I didn't want to bring that mess into my bus. I'm a bad enough housekeeper already. And then, as stated, while on the road I'm not going to want to stop and cut firewood. That's why I'm trying to make a small lightweight trash burning stove I can burn my paper garbage in and maybe use it for heat in an emergency.

You want to slow cook a pot of beans on the stove, don't you? I hear you. I like to bake, and my toaster oven has done better than expected. Fresh bread anyone? Home made pizza? Biscuits? The point is when I'm traveling I want to make good time, but part of the time these buses are stationary cabins. I can't say I've figured out the solution yet. I'm still addicted to the grid.
Hahaha! Beans? Bread? You crack me up.

Photo is in Oakhurst, Californis

Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Yeah, me and my rolling fishing shack. You know, I haven't caught a fish since I bought this thing.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Rusty, don't believe me till I pics. So never having posted any before I need to school myself. Some before and afters maybe?
Maybe this isn't kosher in here either. I'm a bit computer challenged also, but will try.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Drivers Side Rear.jpg   Dec162013 001.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Quote:
Bob; A longer stove pipe run adds a significant amount of heat. That said, I wouldn't have a bed very close to a wood stove, even on low.
Near is a relative term. I'll keep the proper distance which would then be a 10 foot (?) pipe to the exit. I don't know how much it would heat tho because I don't think I'd want it exposed. Rather have it hidden by cabinets or something. My days of staring at duct work and piping are over thx to the Navy.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #58
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Near is a relative term. I'll keep the proper distance which would then be a 10 foot (?) pipe to the exit. I don't know how much it would heat tho because I don't think I'd want it exposed. Rather have it hidden by cabinets or something. My days of staring at duct work and piping are over thx to the Navy.
I'm sure I'm missing some comments... Ha r y perfected this forum yet.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #59

I'm late to this thread, but the bus that my boyfriend and I used to live in (short 4 window), he built a real fireplace for it, made from cement and vermiculite. A very little fireplace, scaled to size for the bus, sitting in the corner of our little table, secured to a wall, with metal hearth underneath, overlayed with copper, and a telescoping flu going out the roof that was easily retractible with a lever so that it came flush to the roof. We used little tiny blocks of wood averaging 4 to 5 inches in length, so collecting small bags of wood was never a problem. Then we moved onto a boat and took that fireplace onboard with us. We are now currently redoing another bus, and will build another small fireplace for that.
Bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJS26 View Post
Hi Robin

many thanks!
I am looking for a Propane system - Thank you
I will now google with the correct terminology...

Thanks Again!!
Howard
The gas stoves are compatible with CNG and propane just have to adjust the air mixers for best flame.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote