Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: B600, 545 Allison Auto
Engine: Cummings Dimple Block 12Cyl.
Rated Cap: 70
Best Gas 4 burner stove and Oven

Hi Guys

Please can anyone recommend a good half height 4 burner gas 'cooker' and oven?

I have seen these half height, but full width stoves used on Youtube conversion videos (bus life NZ etc.)
So you get a 4 ring stove and oven but storage underneath.
but google can't find them...

Any and all info would be wonderful
Thank you!
Howard

HJS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's called a drop in stove, because it's supported by cabinetry. Not very popular anymore but they are still sold.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Drop-in-ele...ces/4294715782

30 Inch Drop In Range | Sears Outlet

Drop-in - Electric Ranges - Ranges - Cooking - Â*The Home Depot
Old 04-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: B600, 545 Allison Auto
Engine: Cummings Dimple Block 12Cyl.
Rated Cap: 70
Hi Robin

many thanks!
I am looking for a Propane system - Thank you
I will now google with the correct terminology...

Thanks Again!!
Howard
HJS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Could go with 2 of these-
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS.../dp/B01D42QH2U

Or one of these
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...lp-stove/79821
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Suburban is a pretty standard rv appliance manufacturer. here's their 3 burner w oven. 3 burner seems to be the most common... Atwood is another manufacturer with similar products...
Suburban 22" Black 3-Burner Range - Ranges - Ranges & Cooktops - RV Appliances
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Craigslist usually has RV appliances for sale taken from crashed RVs.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
craigslist is a great resource, just make sure if you buy from a wrecked or salvaged rv you test, then re-test, and test again for leaks at any connections and in the appliance supply lines themselves... Even if it looks good on the outside, stress from a crash could create tiny tears in the lines or weak spots.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
I'm going to put this here so I can find it later. Nowhere near needing a stove yet but I want a diesel oven.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/dick...tove-with-oven

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Probably don't need to since it's from the same website but I'm going to throw this on there too.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/dick...-diesel-heater
Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Bus Geek

You wouldn't prefer to use a Webasto coolant heater, for a combination of engine warming capability and cabin heat?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You wouldn't prefer to use a Webasto coolant heater, for a combination of engine warming capability and cabin heat?
I haven't any clue. Would I? My bus has an electric block heater. No idea if it works or not but there's a cord hanging out of the engine.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
Bus Geek

What are you planning to use for heat to keep your tribe warm?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
What are you planning to use for heat to keep your tribe warm?
Radiant thru the flooring. I don't know about the heat source for whatever fluid I use.

And a wood stove which may be more aesthetic than anything else. If/when the wood stove is fired, I would like to wrap copper around the chimney and use a heat exchanger somewhere for added "free" heat.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

not too many coils are needed for hot water if n wood stove... however the safety valve and circulation valves r necessary. I put 3 coils in mine and was way too much. As far a wood stove, i essentially made a 0 clearance stove with proper board insulation and ceramic around all sides except the door which faced the hall. Never have had any problem no matter how hot the firebox. It is pretty easy to build a stove with plate and fire bricks to fit what ever dimensions you choose. Wont be a certified one, but isnt inspected anyway anywhere i have been in the usa. From my brother Last year, I got a 7 gal propane tank and made a stove with the door on the top end, and grating on the sides n top which also had the stove pipe. Put this in a travel trailer by the lake, and it takes the normal size wood length... not to mention can get so hot to drive you out of the trailer even well below freezing. I have also found that almost anywhere i have traveled with my bus in the usa from west to east, i can almost find free wood or other fuel for the stove whereever i have gone, n it doesnt take much
Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
not too many coils are needed for hot water if n wood stove... however the safety valve and circulation valves r necessary. I put 3 coils in mine and was way too much. As far a wood stove, i essentially made a 0 clearance stove with proper board insulation and ceramic around all sides except the door which faced the hall. Never have had any problem no matter how hot the firebox. It is pretty easy to build a stove with plate and fire bricks to fit what ever dimensions you choose. Wont be a certified one, but isnt inspected anyway anywhere i have been in the usa. From my brother Last year, I got a 7 gal propane tank and made a stove with the door on the top end, and grating on the sides n top which also had the stove pipe. Put this in a travel trailer by the lake, and it takes the normal size wood length... not to mention can get so hot to drive you out of the trailer even well below freezing. I have also found that almost anywhere i have traveled with my bus in the usa from west to east, i can almost find free wood or other fuel for the stove whereever i have gone, n it doesnt take much
So you have a stove on your bus and you travel with said bus? I gots questions for you!!

First from your comments above... You have coils IN your stove? I was thinking of wrapping them around the chimney. The true chimney (inner) and then running to an exchanger. That would be coils ON the stove in my terminology. When you say in, I'm thinking attached to the ceiling of the firebox or something along those lines. Not trying to argue grammar,; just want to make sure we are on the same page. Along a similar line, I suppose a 5 or 10 gallon tank directly under the stove would work. Use the water tank as a huge heat sink.

Also from above, I've been wondering why stoves are $700+. You can't weld cast iron but you can steel. Build a box with 1/2" or even go full retard with 1". Firebrick around that and you don't care if the welds fail in 5 yrs.

So, back to you, a wood stove, and a mobile bus... what/how do you do a chimney that works and can be closed/removed/capped/whatever while driving down the road at 60 mph? Never seen one used so I have the cartoon scene with ash everywhere stuck in my head.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Electric Drop-in range

Has anyone bought an electric drop-in range lately. Would like to hear some first hand experience. I am picking appliances soon and want some reviews. I don't care for propane.

Thanks and sorry for waking up a dead thread. I just don't like opening a thread if there is something existing on similar issue.
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Radiant thru the flooring. I don't know about the heat source for whatever fluid I use.

And a wood stove which may be more aesthetic than anything else. If/when the wood stove is fired, I would like to wrap copper around the chimney and use a heat exchanger somewhere for added "free" heat.
Robin, I really want a small wood stove for heat and possibly warming food. Can you give me suggestions? Of course safety is most important.

Thank you.

Debbie

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiejay4444 View Post
Robin, I really want a small wood stove for heat and possibly warming food. Can you give me suggestions? Of course safety is most important.

Thank you.

Debbie

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Whatever you get, bolt it down.

If the feet don't lend themselves to that, make some brackets.

I've seen too many pictures of what appear to be free-standing stoves to not worry about their potential in an accident.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Hi Debbie

Honestly I don't recommend a wood stove for heat in a bus. The antique stoves are cute but largely unsafe. The household wood stoves are really to hot for a bus and don't like being run on low. Beyond that there's the issue of wood storage so it stays dry, as well as the chainsaw for cutting and an axe for splitting. You will change your mind when you're splitting firewood in the rain or snow.

There are some more appropriately sized stoves that are designed for boats, but you've got to wonder where you get firewood in a boat. Those stoves are also quite expensive. Some of them do have ovens.

What cured me of the wood stove idea was the thought of taking down the stove pipe every time you want to drive your bus somewhere. Also you can't burn wood while in town and apparently some campsites don't appreciate people with wood stoves, not to mention the hippie bus stigma.

I've been planning to make a wood stove that's the right size for a bus, but mostly to burn newspaper and junk mail. It could also burn wood in an emergency if wood was available while away from home.

I'm sure you're getting the general gist that wood heat would be pretty difficult to maintain if you're away from home. A chainsaw is not part of my life anymore, and it's a dangerous tool to start using. I've discovered the simplicity of electric heat while doing this bus build, but that's not available while I'm traveling either. My theory was to go where the weather is warmer and not have to deal with the heating issue at all. I haven't exactly done any traveling yet, and it's another cold winter here in NW Oregon. In fact it's time for snow.

When I had a wood stove in here it ended up being used for a countertop most of the time. When I finally stooped to storing things inside the stove I decided it was time to let it go. Others have installed wood stoves with apparent success, but I'm wondering if they travel much.

California is burning down. You'd better get your bus out of there.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I've seen too many pictures of what appear to be free-standing stoves to not worry about their potential in an accident.
That's an excellent point. I don't want a wood stove hitting me in the back of the head in the event of an accident.