Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2019, 11:51 PM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 94
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Black tar removal from inside walls and ceiling

I am currently raising the roof of my 2000 Bluebird RE. I plan to spray foam, my question(s) are...
1 - Do I need to remove the black tar from the inside that appears to be a form of sound deadening / insulation adhesive before I can spray foam?
2 - If yes, how do I remove it? I have tried a paint scraper (useless), an oscillating saw with scraper blade (doesn't work), sawzall with scraper blade (not working), grinder with 3 different types of wire wheels (works somewhat but makes a horrible sticky mess).
Thanks for any help!
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If it was mine I would leave it alone.
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Almost There
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 94
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If it was mine I would leave it alone.
Leave it alone how? Leave the tar and spray over it or leave it alone like don't mess with the factory insulation and tar at all?
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,526
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
I am currently raising the roof of my 2000 Bluebird RE. I plan to spray foam, my question(s) are...
1 - Do I need to remove the black tar from the inside that appears to be a form of sound deadening / insulation adhesive before I can spray foam?
2 - If yes, how do I remove it? I have tried a paint scraper (useless), an oscillating saw with scraper blade (doesn't work), sawzall with scraper blade (not working), grinder with 3 different types of wire wheels (works somewhat but makes a horrible sticky mess).
Thanks for any help!
I had to remove mine. Took a LOT of work. Mine was causing moisture to get trapped between it and the steel.


Easiest was to carefully use aircraft stripper.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 3,019
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I had to remove mine. Took a LOT of work. Mine was causing moisture to get trapped between it and the steel.


Easiest was to carefully use aircraft stripper.
That ceiling looks like my floor! Bleh!
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,526
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
i was so glad i pulled the ceiling!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 519
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I removed the tar off of my ceiling and walls. It was a miserable job but now that it's done I'm glad I did it. Mine was especially thick up to 1/4 inch in places and sticky when it was hot. Some people only have a light spray that is not tacky.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,195
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
i was so glad i pulled the ceiling!
Was this on your FS65?
I'm pretty sure I have nothing up there -- no insulation, no tar.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,526
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
naw, it was on a 1992 Ward Senator. Same bus as an Amtran Genesis.

Not planning to pull my steel headliner but my bus is just a toy for fun on weekends at most.
May do it eventually but I'm feeling lazy about it. Glad its not perforated. I just like the look of the plain steel better and my bus is already real quiet.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 519
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I removed the tar from mine and it was a miserable job but now that it's done I'm glad I did it. Mine was almost 1/4 inch thick in places and sticky when it was hot. That caused me concern for sprayfoam adhering to it. Other people have buses where it more of thin overspray and not sticky. I think that would be OK to foam over.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20190109_204709_7565.jpeg (834.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20191213_144627_4878.jpg (153.3 KB, 7 views)
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
Leave it alone how? Leave the tar and spray over it or leave it alone like don't mess with the factory insulation and tar at all?
I removed the insulation, but saw no issue with leaving the "adhesive" alone. It doesn't look like it has deteriorated at all in the last 20 years, so spraying foam over it would not be an issue for me, Cleaning it off would be a major pain for little gain if any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191217_130301861.jpg (135.7 KB, 8 views)
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 1,619
Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Unfortunately the biggest problem is probably that you're trying to do it at the wrong time of year. July is much better than (nearly) January: the tar stuff removes much easier when it is warm and soft.

Soften it with a hot air gun and then use the powered or manual scrapers to remove the bulk. There'll be some residue left behind; it can be wiped away with a solvent. I like VM&P Naphtha for this because it's very slow drying.

I haven't tried ECCB's aircraft stripper method. Note that it isn't the same stuff it used to be. My paint supplier told me that the methylene chloride based formula couldn't be sold after August (I think?) of last year.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You guys are glutons for punishment. It seems to me that the "tar" should make a good sealer, we put it on our concrete walls to keep water from penetrating. I see one case where it is claimed it traps water, sounds highly unusual. Unless I knew of a negative reaction with the foam that has been proven I would not subject myself to that torture, just saying. It's a process I doubt will make a difference and no one will ever know if it was done or not, other than that bad memory of the job. There's enough of those jobs as it is.
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,526
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You guys are glutons for punishment. It seems to me that the "tar" should make a good sealer, we put it on our concrete walls to keep water from penetrating. I see one case where it is claimed it traps water, sounds highly unusual. Unless I knew of a negative reaction with the foam that has been proven I would not subject myself to that torture, just saying. It's a process I doubt will make a difference and no one will ever know if it was done or not, other than that bad memory of the job. There's enough of those jobs as it is.
Mine was totally disgusting with rot and rust. Asphalteum can and will trap moisture as the condensation happens over the years. Your bus may be fine but that's not some gospel truth for everyone. WHat's in your bus clearly isn't the same as what some of us have dealt with.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Mine was totally disgusting with rot and rust. Asphalteum can and will trap moisture as the condensation happens over the years. Your bus may be fine but that's not some gospel truth for everyone. WHat's in your bus clearly isn't the same as what some of us have dealt with.
I haven't heard anyone else with the rusty roof issue you had. It doesn't seem to be a common issue. If the roof and tar look like mine, I would leave it alone. Obviously if you have an issue, deal with it. But I still see no issue with leaving it alone if it is intact.
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 94
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Thanks for the replies and discussion everybody. For some reason I stopped getting alerts on this thread and thought nobody was responding. My tar and metal are in good shape, I was just worried that the spray insulation would not stick to the tar and would later release.
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 519
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
Thanks for the replies and discussion everybody. For some reason I stopped getting alerts on this thread and thought nobody was responding. My tar and metal are in good shape, I was just worried that the spray insulation would not stick to the tar and would later release.
You could always spray some Great Stuff on it and see how well/long it sticks compared to bare metal.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #18
Almost There
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 94
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
You could always spray some Great Stuff on it and see how well/long it sticks compared to bare metal.

Ted
Not a bad idea, thanks!
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie
 
queen_bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 10
Year: 2003
Chassis: Microbird
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
I removed mine because i read it was extremely flammable and id seen many skoolie fires that looked pretty bad anfld i suspected this is why. It is a huge mess. Also saw a dude who ignited his while welding and burned a hole in the bus. Anywho i used Turtlewax Bug and Tar remover which worked well aside from being messy. No toxic fumes from the aerosol airplane cleaner
queen_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #20
Almost There
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 94
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_bee View Post
I removed mine because i read it was extremely flammable and id seen many skoolie fires that looked pretty bad anfld i suspected this is why. It is a huge mess. Also saw a dude who ignited his while welding and burned a hole in the bus. Anywho i used Turtlewax Bug and Tar remover which worked well aside from being messy. No toxic fumes from the aerosol airplane cleaner
Oh wow! It would be nice if that would work. I'll pick some up tomorrow and try it, thanks.
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black tar, insulation, spray foam

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×