Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Can I replace factory AC w smaller unit?

So I plan on keeping my bus’ original AC but it’s just so big and bulky that I’m wondering if I can have someone replace it with something smaller but still using the same wires and tubes as the factory AC.

I don’t know much about HVAC and I haven’t seen much discourse about this so I’m not sure if theres a really simple reason why more people haven’t done this.

Any info would be helpful thanks!

handtowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
It's probably rifled air or carrier trans cool.
I believe in 2003 it was a $9000 option, so I bet a smaller evaporater would cost a ton from them. You may be able to find one at a scrapyard and reinstall, but even DIY, you'll spend money on guages, vaccum pump, $300 of r134a and various fittings needed for the hookup. I would advise that if it's working, just to leave it. If it's rifled, below are the options of evaporators that they have.
Bus Air Conditioning Evaporators - Rifled Air Conditioning

fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you certainly can replace it.. my suggestion would be to install a bulkhead evaporator up-front in the front bulkhead. if you are insulating your bus well you may very well be able to delete the rear system altogether if your bus has 2 and the passengers plan to ride up front during road trips.

here is an example of one. don brown isnt likely the best place. shop around for a used one or better pricing but id expect to pay a grand or so for one.

https://donbrownbusparts.com/product...002-1001325385

these are typically sized very similar to a Carrier EM-1 or a Trans/ AIR 4-vent dual blower system.

not knowing what your current evaporator and condenser model numbers are makes it a bit tougher for me to help you out..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
It's probably rifled air or carrier trans cool.
I believe in 2003 it was a $9000 option, so I bet a smaller evaporater would cost a ton from them. You may be able to find one at a scrapyard and reinstall, but even DIY, you'll spend money on guages, vaccum pump, $300 of r134a and various fittings needed for the hookup. I would advise that if it's working, just to leave it. If it's rifled, below are the options of evaporators that they have.
Bus Air Conditioning Evaporators - Rifled Air Conditioning

the Most common systems are Carrier Transicold and Trans / AIR (factory OEM for bluebird)..

ive taken some Rifled-air and others out over the years.. ACC / ACT are showing up more nowadays under the brand ProAir LLC. If you want to build a complete custom system then ProAir offers all kinds of neat gear to do it.. I gutted my Driver Heater Box and built a custom Dashboard A/C system that also features dehumidified Defrost.. this doesnt cool the whole bus (I have more units).. but does make the driver area nice N cool away from engine heat!
Old 12-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Has anyone converted from rubber to copper linesets and brazes/solder? The barb fittings seems to be a weak point.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Nada. I use burgaflex fittings and never have leaks.. built my front system 5 and a half years ago and haven’t added Freon .. my rear system 2 years..

Copper and braze is too Boomer-Esque for me and I don’t like it in a vehicle with vibrations ..