Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
Can someone tell me how to recharge the A/C on my 98 international 4700?

Hello everybody. Im not sure if my A/C just needs a recharge or if it's something more serious. I want to try recharging it myself first and see if that does the trick. Could someone tell me the location of the coolant filter? That's what i need to change right? Or do I have to do something else? Any assistance is greatly appreciated! I'm traveling from new York to Houston and it's starting to get real hot & humid!!😩

DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm sorry, but when dealing with A/C systems, I'm in the camp that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Your lack of knowledge is further exemplified by you asking about the coolant filter and changing it, as the coolant filter would very likely not cause a lack of A/C, as the two systems are largely unrelated.

I get the mindset of saving money by doing things yourself, but just last week an individual stopped by the shop with an A/C complaint. They purchased a commonly available r134a gauge/can combo kit, and tried adding refrigerant to no avail. They then noticed the gauge was in the red, and proceeded to vent all of their refrigerant to the atmosphere to "get the gauge back green". Some troubleshooting by me showed the clutch relay had failed, making the compressor inop. Unfortunately for them, the system used R1234yf, and their can of r134a/stop leak contaminated the system. A system flush, vacuum and fill with the correct refrigerant had them running again, but at the cost of a several hundred dollars, instead of the 20 or so for a new relay.

Yeah, if you really have no base knowledge of refrigeration or the carnot cycle, you shouldn't mess with it.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Being new you probably don't know it, but Booyah's one of the cats you'd do very well to take advice from here.

'DIY' & 'A/C service' don't really mix well for most folks.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'm sorry, but when dealing with A/C systems, I'm in the camp that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Yeah, if you really have no base knowledge of refrigeration or the carnot cycle, you shouldn't mess with it.
i strongly agree here as many years ago a can of freon exploded in my hand while i was adding some to a truck. the can froze to my hand and when i got it off it took all my skin off that hand. luckily it was one of the few times back then i wore safety glasses as i also had burns on my face. it took a long time for my hand to heal. that was also the last time i used the old side puncture can tapper
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
advice above is solid.. you really dont even know if the system is low on charge.. if it is then its leaking... refrigerant is not a consumable item in an A/C..my dad's international scout held its R12 for 30 years before a leak released it..

if in fact the system is empty then you would need to use a vacuum pump to vac it down before recharging it.. by the time you purchase a good vacuum pump, hoses and vacuum gauge or probe then you exceed the cost of taking the vehicle to a shop..

you also didnt mention any symptoms, what kind of vehicle it is (truck or bus), etc..

if you are here because a shop told you its going to be expensive then its probably legit..

I have no issues with people DIYing their A/C as long as they have knowledge of what the yare doing.. charging a system till the air is cold or the suction pipe is cold can be a recipe for ruining the compressor if you run it undercharged or overcharged..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:56 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
Yeah im a DIY'r but I'll sit this one out and take the advice given. You guys likely just saved me a bunch of frustration, time and money. I didn't realize how complex the A/C systems can be. Thanks again guys!!
DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote