Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Eldorado
Chassis: 2006 Ford E450
Engine: 6.0 Ford Diesel
Rated Cap: 15 passenger
carrier skirt mount system

I have a 2006 E450 with an Eldorado 2007 Fiberglass 15 passenger body with a skirt mounted carrier condenser and rear wall/ceiling mounted evaporator. There are two floor mounted heaters that are a separate system. There is separate on/off fan speed ctrl for the dash mounted A/C that comes from factory. Should this system have two compressors or one compressor? THe condenser has 2 fans on it. The road salt has pretty much destroyed the fins and one of the fans does not spin.

Under the hood is so full it is hard to see anything.
I can see that I have dual alternators but the serpentine belt to the second alternator is not installed. I am not sure if anything else runs off that belt. I am just starting to dig into this.
I am planning on buying a new skirt mounted condenser. I live in TN so road salt won't be an issue anymore.
Front A/C does not get cold.
Rear A/C does not get cold.
Both blow air. Front only blows on one position tho.
Thanks for your help.

jmfunnyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
MOST van cutaway systems use a single comopressor and is whats called a Tie-in system where it ties into the dashboard A/C... you likely will see under the hood near the firewall where the lines are T'd together near the accumulator (big metal canister).. and you wont have a condensor up front most likely, just the skirt one..

occasionally on the longer cutaways ive seen dual compressor systems.. they are rare..

dual alternators is a little unusual too.. im guessing your compressor never turns on? when you turn on the dash air and look under the hood the outer ring. is spinning but not the center hub?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Are you sure the second alternator isn’t actually a compressor?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Eldorado
Chassis: 2006 Ford E450
Engine: 6.0 Ford Diesel
Rated Cap: 15 passenger
It is definitely two alternators. There is a sticker under the hood from Ford for routing of the two serpentine belts for the dual alternator setup.

I talked with https://donbrownbusparts.com/ they were super helpful. I gave them the serial number of the condenser and they told me lots of info and got me parts at a good price.

I had to grind the bolts off the old condenser to remove it. The salt from New York is crazy destructive. I live in TN but the bus came from NY. I will be spending a lot of time descaling and painting the underside. It took a couple hours to just do the area where the skirt condenser goes.

Does anybody know of a good resource for refilling the system with freon and oil? The bus sales and service place near me says they are booked until next year. I have a feeling a regular car place won't do it correctly.
jmfunnyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote