Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Charging an AC System

Skoolies:

One of my ac units on my bus has stopped working. It has a leak. I seeking info on how to charge this system. Both of my cars state the amount of refrigerant needs in their system but I don't see that information anywhere on the bus. The bus units are made by RAC.

I know each bus can be very different but does anyone on here know how to go about recharging my ac?

budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I presume these are outboard units that are mounted beneath the body. Either way, most systems charge in pretty much the same method, refrigerant canister is connected by correct hoses / fittings to the service port (usually low-pressure side) and the compressor simply sucks it in.

But knowing how much is too much is critical, as too much refrigerant can destroy a system. Depending on year of manufacture, it could be an R-12 system, which can be tricky, if not impossible to get. If it happens to be R-134a, you shouldn't have a problem. Most everything before the mid to late-90s used R-12 for vehicles, and R-22 for residential / commercial. Using the wrong refrigerant can create even more problems.

As to refrigerant type / capacity, there should be a service tag somewhere on the unit with at least a serial number, refrigerant type, and recommended refrigerant capacity.

Here's a link to an RAC Refrigeration Systems, which hopefully is the correct original manufacturer. Perhaps they can help if you can get a serial number off of the unit, or at least tell you where to find the information you need. There has to be some sort of ID tag or plate on that unit somewhere to aid in service.

https://www.racrefrig.com/

Hope that helps...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Thanks for the info. I will likely have to pull the cover off and look for the information. I had the cover off about a year ago to clean the reusable filter and I don't remember seeing any type of info. But then the was not focus. I know i have a leak because I see an oil spot under the bus right under the condenser. So when I check out where the leak is perhaps the charging info is there.

First, gotta finish replacing my jackshaft on my mower deck! I'm thankful that I do have some mechanical skills, otherwise I would be flat broke. Everything around here needs working on!!
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote