Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2022, 10:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Clear vinyl storm windows

I live in a cold climate and want to be able to use the skoolie in the winter. The biggest contributor to heat loss is all the single-pane windows. Heavy quilted drapes are one fix, but I'd like to be able to let natural light in.

Last summer, as others have done, I used aluminum frame kits to make window screens to keep the bugs out. The instructions said that the same frame kits could be used to make storm windows by swapping in clear vinyl for the screen material. I just made my first two storm windows, with 11 more to go. They are not quite as clear as glass, but it's unsafe to use regular window glass in a vehicle anyway.

It's too early to gauge the results with a thermometer, but the project seems promising. I show how I put them together in this YouTube vide, FYI.

David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I just finished making removable 2" XPS foam board inserts faced with plywood for all my windows. They're very effective (the other night it was 25°F outside and my 1500 watt electric space heater kept the interior at 65°F) but yeah, it's depressing as hell to have no natural light. I found a couple of vinyl house double-paned windows a couple of years ago on Craigslist and I plan to re-make a few of my inserts with the glass parts of these windows in the middle.

Hmm, I wonder if there's any such thing as transparent or at least translucent polystyrene.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:08 AM   #3
Bus Nut

If you can get tempered glass in the correct size, you can use it. It's already what is used in cars for side glass.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, storm windows, window coverings, windows