Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Coldest spot on your bus when parked?

Hello,

I'm building out my daughter's 4-window skoolie. She REALLY wants to take her record player and a selection of her favorite vinyl on the road with her. The bus will have (stock) engine-driven A/C when running and a mini-split to keep her comfortable when she's in it, but that probably won't running on 24/7 while boondocking. Most of her adventures will be based out of Las Vegas. Aside from keeping the vinyl in the fridge, any suggestions on how to keep the albums from becoming a giant glob?

Thanks,
FB

FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
A vehicle out in the sun will absorb radiant energy from the sunlight and the metal skin will heat up well above the ambient air temperature (and warp vinyl records which start rippling at 140F). If you simply put the records in a box on the ground underneath the bus, they would barely get hotter than the surrounding air and would not warp (unless the temp in the shade is over 140F which does happen in some places on earth).

They might be stolen under there, of course, and it wouldn't work while driving. You could build some sort of container that was suspended from the underside of the bus to hold them, maybe using rope that wouldn't transfer much of the heat of the bus metal. This would let you keep the records there if you're driving or if the bus is parked outside in the sun and they would not warp unless you're visiting the Kalahari.

I have to say, I grew up with LPs in the 70s and 80s (Going for the One by Yes was my first album) and I would never take my vinyl along in my bus. But that's because I sold them all and have my entire music library on something the size of a credit card now, like a sensible person. The thought of people voluntarily choosing the cracks and pops and skips of vinyl blows my mind. But then again I have a neighbor who rides a penny-farthing so I shouldn't be surprised.

Can't wait until cassettes become popular again. Or maybe 8-tracks are up next.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:28 PM   #3
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I have to say, I grew up with LPs in the 70s and 80s (Going for the One by Yes was my first album) and I would never take my vinyl along in my bus. But that's because I sold them all and have my entire music library on something the size of a credit card now, like a sensible person. The thought of people voluntarily choosing the cracks and pops and skips of vinyl blows my mind. But then again I have a neighbor who rides a penny-farthing so I shouldn't be surprised.
You aren't wrong. I think it's silly, but she's a headstrong 18 year old that will only learn after ruining a few of her favorites. I'm just a dad, trying to make his baby girl happy.

Thanks for the tip on melting point. Perhaps a small externally vented box built into the skirt with a solar powered fan blowing up from the bottom... Or perhaps she just has to ruin a few.
FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote