Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Coleman Mach 8 Heat Pump Thermostat?

Howdy all,

I'm kind of looking for a Coleman Thermostat expert. Maybe I'll get lucky?

I'm installing two Coleman (AIRXCEL) Mach 8 Heat Pumps with heat strips (model 47024B876) in Missy. These are ordered but not in hand yet. I am attempting to understand which Coleman thermostat(s) I need and am hoping someone can help. I have the Coleman document that lists all of their thermostats and functions.

Btw; I will not be using the Coleman ceiling assembly. I realize this is not per the Coleman marketing material but I am fairly sure it is possible. I have asked Coleman the thermostat question directly and they are not answering.

I would really like to run both heat pumps from a single thermostat (two-zone) and also have a furnace output. However; if this is not possible, I would be satisfied with two thermostats (each a single zone) with one of them having a furnace output.

Several questions:
1. Are these heat pumps one or two stage?

2. Does the heat strip make the heat side of these heat pumps two-stage? Or, does the heat strip just come on automatically (controlled by the internals of the heat pump) when the outside air temp is too low for the heat pump to be effective?

If we were to look at the 8530-3481 thermostat. I assume the "Elec Heat" setting controls the heat pump "heat" mode. Does it ALSO control the heat strip inside the heat pump?

Thanks very much!

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote