Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 11:10 PM   #1

Cool Connect manufacturer AC to shore power during conversion?

Hi all. I am new here. I have a 40 ft 2010 Blue Bird All American with a Cummins 8.3L ISC and Allison MD3060 transmission. My bus came with two large AC units that I wish I could figure out how to use during the conversion before dismantling them while also avoiding keeping my bus in high idle (or having the engine on at all). They are in really good shape, work super well when driving, and I live in AZ, so AC isn't so much a creature comfort, but instead is a necessity - especially when hammering away at rivets in my driveway at any time other than early morning or late evening (so again, a terrible option since I have neighbors, and if a giant bus in the driveway wasn't enough to piss them off, I'm sure the early morning hammering would do the job).

When it's 115 degrees outside, it's really hard to get much done in the tin can that is our parked bus.

I need some help figuring out how to use these ACs off-motor, whether I need to buy a generator that I'll need for our trips anyway, or some other solution that isn't just "buy a portable AC"... those just don't really do the job out here and our portable is really struggling to keep the inside of the bus any cooler than 99 degrees F. Waiting until cooler weather isn't an option either, as we must be done by August, so not being able to work during the day is really hindering our progress.

Any suggestions are much appreciated! We've found this forum extremely helpful already and are glad to officially be a part of it.

-Madeline and Tyler

itsberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/p...a-c-36391.html

Oddly, you're the fourth person today to ask this unusual question. Can I ask where you got the idea? It seems like somebody mentioned this in a video or a blog post because three other people have asked the same thing. The thread I linked to might be of interest.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I have not read the thread that Ross linked, so sorry if I'm repeating anything.

1) Build a temporary tent for the bus. No sides or ends, just an A-frame to shade the bus. I'm thinking ABS schedule 40 pipe and a tarp from Harbor Freight.

2) If you don't want to shade the bus, then coat it with whatever you're going to put on the roof. Personally, after a lot of research, I'm using Henry's Tropicool. Other's disagree...but that's what I'm using. It should really help reduce the temperature.

3) So, I'm changing this...because my very smart friend called and we talked about how weird it was that four people asked basically the same question. That's when he mentioned that even if you figure out the electrical demands of the AC units, the compressor for the units is connected to the engine and only work when the engine is running. So, if you connected the units to another compressor, that runs off of 120v, you might be getting somewhere.

Yet, if you're going to do that, you might as well just mount window rattler, plug it in and let it do it's thing.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Why do you want to dismantle the A/C’s if it is so hot in the summertime?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Why do you want to dismantle the A/C’s if it is so hot in the summertime?
We won’t be living here with our skoolie, we will be parked much of the time (so having something that can only be used while driving doesn’t make much sense for a home) and we are relocating to where max summer temps are 85 degrees. They are also just very large and bulky and take up a ton of overhead space. We will be replacing with a lower profile mini split.
itsberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsberry View Post
We won’t be living here with our skoolie, we will be parked much of the time (so having something that can only be used while driving doesn’t make much sense for a home) and we are relocating to where max summer temps are 85 degrees. They are also just very large and bulky and take up a ton of overhead space. We will be replacing with a lower profile mini split.
You might want to look up what Cadillackid has to say about the stock A/C’s. He is an A/C man and definitely knows his stuff. 85 is not conducive to buses. 65 is probably closer to ideal.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Honestly Simplicity's advice is probably the best- shield it from sunlight. Combine this with fans at each end which move air in one direction- in, through, and out the bus.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, arizona, bluebird, cooling, cummins