Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #1

Question Converting ceiling A/C to both engine and outlet power?

Hello! I have a mini bus and it has a ceiling a/c unit at the back that can run while the engine is on via a switch at the front. I'm interested in converting this to both engine power when driving and then being able to plug it in while I'm at a campsite (to an extension cord, which will be plugged into an outlet). Is this even possible? Thanks!
(sorry the picture is upsidedown!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4639.JPG  

BrittanyJ707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

I'm having the same question, bus is in hand next week.
Tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Maybe.

I'm going to try to do the same thing with my roof-mounted HVAC. My HVAC is a 10-ton unit (yes, 10-tons o' cooling!). The compressor in the engine compartment is huge! (I have a transit bus, not a skoolie, but oh, well....)

I'm going to try and plumb in one or two 1- or 2-ton compressors that run off of DC through check valves. I'm hoping the TxVs (yep, 2 of 'em) don't let too much refrigerant through in their fully-closed position so the smaller compressors can build up the required pressure....

For your situation you'll need to find out if your TxV is mechanical or electronic. Mechanical is what you want - electronic, well, that complicates the issue....

Best person to talk to in these parts is cadillackid....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
We are trying to do that as well. We disconnected the V belt from the main diesel engine to the compressor and reconnect it to a small diesel and a large 5 Hp DC motor. So for on the road and boon docking we will use the small single cylinder diesel engine and for campgrounds with electric hookup we will run the DC motor.
I want to same with our e350 mini bus but only then a smaller DC motor that can be easily connected when stationary.

Good luck, J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
We are trying to do that as well. We disconnected the V belt from the main diesel engine to the compressor and reconnect it to a small diesel and a large 5 Hp DC motor. So for on the road and boon docking we will use the small single cylinder diesel engine and for campgrounds with electric hookup we will run the DC motor.
I want to same with our e350 mini bus but only then a smaller DC motor that can be easily connected when stationary.

Good luck, J

My compressor needs 30 horses to run (at least according to the docs I have). I don't think a DC motor or single cylinder engine will do the job or I'd do it your way. Very clever!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
MarkeeDee., I do not think it works like that. If you would ask the full capacity then your compressor would demand that kind of HP. Look at the capacity / RPM curve of your compressor and see how much HP your compressor needs for a cooling capacity that you require for a bus not in motion. Just drive it with a 1 or 2 HP AC motor with a proper pulley ratio and see what happens. It wont be as efficient as a split ac. Every thing is oversized for the capacity that an insulated bus requires so you will have more mechanical friction and other losses.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyJ707 View Post
Hello! I have a mini bus and it has a ceiling a/c unit at the back that can run while the engine is on via a switch at the front. I'm interested in converting this to both engine power when driving and then being able to plug it in while I'm at a campsite (to an extension cord, which will be plugged into an outlet). Is this even possible? Thanks!
(sorry the picture is upsidedown!)

The engine drives your compressor. When plugged into 110v, your bus isn't running, so no, a/c will not work as you wish. You will need at the minimum a second a/c that has an electrically driven compressor.

John