Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coolant lines broken

I have a 2005 Ford E450 Chassis Bluebird. The bus has NEVER had a rear AC unit. There are two coolant lines that end abruptly on the way out from under the engine. One line had a cap of some sort that was cracked just behind the cap along the copper coolant line. The other line is simply broken off and the inside has a bunch of corrosion.

I'm hoping that there is some sort of flange or pipe end that can be used to simply cap those lines, recharge the system and "Bob's yer Uncle!" ... we can hook it up to a pressure system to check for other leaks but that's the idea, right?

Anyone with any experience with this AC on Fords that can offer any advice would be very much appreciated.

Zizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

The black looking hose is the middle right with the white end is the coolant line.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
are the rest of the A/C parts there? the capped off lines are normal on a chassis-for-coach builder that Might install rear A/C, but habving a wide open broken off line isnt.. makes me wonder if other parts othe system were taken off and saved before the bus was sold..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
are the rest of the A/C parts there? the capped off lines are normal on a chassis-for-coach builder that Might install rear A/C, but habving a wide open broken off line isnt.. makes me wonder if other parts othe system were taken off and saved before the bus was sold..
-Christopher
Everything else seems to be there. We were able to hook up an AC vacuum test unit to regular fittings. The mechanic seemed to think that capping them seemed reasonable and didn't mention the compressor being missing.

I suppose what I would like is some confirmation that simply capping the coolant lines that "should" go to the rear unit.

Since the lines are copper what would be a good solution for a cap? Will a compression fitting of some sort work to cap those lines?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow ive never seen copper lines used in a vehicle A/C.

so to check.. you have a line coming from the compressor up to the condensor on the front of the radiator.. then from the condensor you should have a line that goes up to the expansion device (sometimes is going into the firewall), then you have a line that goes from the firewall to a canister (accumulator).. or perhaps that line just goes back to the compressor...

and the 2 broken lines are 'T''d into 1. the line coming from condensor to expansion device (or firewall).. and 2. the lkine coming from firewall or silver canister to compressor..

I just wantot make sure you have all the necessary pipes.. its unusual for these to just "go bad"..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wow ive never seen copper lines used in a vehicle ...

I just wantot make sure you have all the necessary pipes.. its unusual for these to just "go bad"..

-Christopher
I will double check all of this and see if I can get better pictures.

Diagrams and schematics have still iluded me. Hopefully I will have more later today.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Double checked. The coolant lines are clearly plumbed by ford for adding AC by the after market manufacturer, in this case bluebird. Those lines should be able to just be capped seales whatever and the system checked on the vacuum tester. Push comes to shove the have a couple of junked Fords that m8ght have a working AC if more than the lines need plugged.

With the wheels ans brakea removed it's clear I need shocks ans brakelines. Sigh ... the rear brakes and lines have been replaced and are in good shape. So there is that.