Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie Tech > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Creative ventilation solutions (anything apart from maxx/fantastic fan and A/C)

I've been thinking about how to maximize unshaded roof space for solar, one tangent stemming from that line of thinking is has been considering alternatives to the typical Maxx/Fantastic roof mount 14" fans.

Specifically I've been thinking about ventilation in the Walls and even maybe floor (intake) as opposed to the roof.

I'm curious to see the creative solutions or hear the ideas some of y'all have considered or implemented.

One idea I was thinking about is repurposing the rear upper light openings for exhaust fans above the bed.

There are some interesting looking vertical mount solutions on Aliexpress (like this or this), that basically utilize the equivalent of 12v PC fans, but if they are a standard size, I imagine they could be switched out fairly easily if something more powerful was desired.

dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
one of the easiest for intake might be the defroster fans already in your bus.. all of my busses have the option to open up outside air for the defrosters, this pulls air in at the floor and from outside then blows it out the windshield or back on the floor if you use the regular driver heater fan. putting a magnetic cover over the inside air intake causes those fans to pull in a LOT more outside air. its something to test anyway.. open the outside air intake then. cover the inside air intake for the driver heater box. and see if you can feel a good intake.. you could then open a window or 2 in the back of the bus for a flow through ventilation effect.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
I'm avoiding cutting into the roof as much as possible, just because I don't want leaks.

I have two marine evacuation fans
https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Line-M...62256907&psc=1
and I plan on using them in a variety of configurations. They will plug in, and though they are not reversible, they are quite powerful.

The plan is to have them bolt load (drop into a slot in line with the ducting) either in forward or reverse direction. The ducting is connected to the small slide windows in the top of each window in the shuttle bus. The are variable speed with a cheap control, and draw anywhere from two to five amps depending on their speed.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’ve often thought of building an evaporative cooler into a window or in the floor utilizing an electric radiator fan
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I’ve often thought of building an evaporative cooler into a window or in the floor utilizing an electric radiator fan

only problem with electric rad fans is they are Noisy.. Low RPM computer fans though.. they are pretty quiet..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
The maxxair dome fan can be mounted sideways on a wall and comes with a rain cover for horizontal mounting.

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
chrome_screenshot_1635565918922.jpg  
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
The maxxair dome fan can be mounted sideways on a wall and comes with a rain cover for horizontal mounting.

Ted

Cool! I was just looking at this style fan, didn't realize it could be mounted on the walls though.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote