Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
CubicMini 30% off Sale

I just purchased a Cubic Mini Grizzly!!! Best prices i have seen on a wood stove for buses. Having a Christmas sale now:

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/all

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
CubicMiniGrizzly.jpg  

Old 12-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Watched and read many reviews and safety sheets. Sounds like a nice little unit. Cant wait to get it. I know the Cub was enough BTUs, but i think the Grizzly may last the night on one loading if heat dialed down enough:

Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Nice looking stove but how will that last the night? Being so small it doesn't have the bulk needed to hold heat very long. it will roast you out too in the short term I would think. You may have red embers left but things will be well cooled down by then. Mine has twice the wood capacity or more and lasts 4-5 hours at most before cooling enough to want to refuel it. Running it so it burns slow only creates problems with chimney creosote. Not a good idea. Will it burn coal?

John
Old 12-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

In reviews I have seen, it generally last 2 hours packed but that is with damper/ flu wide open. And embers remaining up to 5 hours. The only issues I have seen with creosote are people NOT using the dual chamber pipe and or using elbows. Mine will have PROPER 2 chamber pipe and NO elbows on install. I will be using the cap and deck plate from Dickenson. I contacted CubicMini with your exact question/ concern. What i received back floored me. An email offering 100% refund if I have any issues INCLUDING creosote residue leaking/ buildup to unsafe level, signed by CEO. I felt good about trying it. Will see
Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

I read the review on the stove after posting to you. Thin steel, no fire brick, no weight..can't see it doing that as the CEO claims. Been on cold weather boats with full size stoves, heat feels great but I just can't see how yours can perform like that. But you are in a shorty so might work. And the wood, 6inch pieces, sounds impossible no matter how the chimney runs out.
I burn daily,24/7 and use about 5 cords of hardwood each winter in a full size conventional. Couldn't survive without it up here but my water will freeze at times with the right amount of cold and wind.
Good luck with that though, pretty pricey even on sale imo.

John
Old 12-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Congrats! We just installed one in our build. We've only had a chance to use it twice, both times I had it running at 600 degrees for about 3 hours. Our bus is a 36' conventional with all the windows and the original ceiling, there is 3" of foam board insulation on the walls under the window and 1" insulation on the floor + plywood.

Both times it was an overcast day in the low 30's, the area around the stove stayed about 30 degrees warmer than the outside temp, the front and back of the bus stayed about 20 degrees warmer than outside.

I don't see the stove ever overheating the bus, and I don't think it's going to go all night without a couple of refills, but I think it will serve our purpose well.

Kris
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Yeah, I know its not like the one i grew up with as a kid. In the basement stoked so high it glowed and ran 24/7. With 1 stocking b4 bed ran all night. BUT it will allow me to stock it up, light it dialed down(will be in shorty or shuttle) and have nice dry heat for 2-4 hours. At that point if its that cold out my furnace will kick on via thermostat setting for rest of night.....no waking up to refill thru night. So, it will save on LP, give nice warm heat when I am awake and want to stock it. Ambiance, LP savings, and help dry out vehicle. All in how u use something. Some assume I will use it as my primary heat......If only that easy.
Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I like having choices:

Heat:
1-CubicMini Grizzly
2-19K btu Suburban furnace
3-mini-split ac/heat.....only with shore or genny
4-Big Buddy(emergency only)
5- Blankets and clothing

Electricity:
1-Solar 1.2k watt
2-60amp shore
3-3500 inverter generator
4- alternator.....vehicle running

Water:
1-city input....pressurized
2-gravity fed to tanks
3-2 filtration units with pump for emergencies

Cooling:
1-mini-split........when on shore
2-window unit.....genny use(can run aprox 5 hours on battery b4 50%)
3-fantastic fan
4- nudity dont look if u got weak stomach

Not trying to pick, but i am setting up for multiple ways.....Plan to full time with it and like having choices.
Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
Skoolie

I installed a Grizzly a month ago in a converted 40 foot GMC city bus, has 1 inch insulation on floors, 2.5 inches urethane foam in walls and ceilings and vinyl thermopane windows. It does an ok job heating the bus and will run on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours before needing refilled. If I fill it at 11:30 pm and shut it down pretty tight it will usually have enough coals at 5 am to relight on its own but you don't get much heat from it closed up that tight. I am burning hardwood flooring scraps (mostly oak) that I get from my friend's flooring mfg business. I used two 45 degree bends and pellet stove piping and stuck the flue through a window to start with and creosote buildup was pretty bad if you didn't run it wide open. The pellet stove pipe didn't overlap the right direction so it was kind of messy. When I decided on the best location for the stove, installed it permanently and used the Cubic Mini stainless double wall flue straight up and out I don't have a creosote problem any more. I left the cap off the top so I could see down it and its staying clean. Mine gets up to around 600 degrees burning wide open and has a very good draft. I have a wooden wall that is 14 inches from the stove and it gets to about 120 degrees from the stove radiating heat, just feels warm to the touch and not hot at all. The double wall pipe goes up past my upper cabinets about 4 inches away and the hottest I have measured on it has been 95 degrees. After burning it a few weeks I kind of looked into a bigger stove but decided they would take up more room than I wanted to give up for it plus I would have to go with a bigger flue pipe for it so I wouldn't be able to tuck it as close to the upper cabinets. I have a coffee table built over the wheel well and I had a piece of granite countertop left over from my house kitchen cabinet install that's about 24 inches square so I set that on the table and set the stove on top of the granite for a base. I have a 2 brick propane heater that I use as backup and it does a pretty good job heating but puts off too much moisture. I have a temp and humidity display in the bus and it gets up to 50% moisture with the brick heater and will show in the low 20's with the wood stove. Temps in southeast Idaho have been in the high 20's and it was 9 degrees this morning. The stove will raise the temp from 60 to low to mid 70's in about two hours of running on high. I really like the looks of the stove and enjoy watching the flames through the glass, even pop the door open and roast a hot dog over the coals on occasion. That sale isn't too bad, I paid 470 us dollars for mine when I bought it the middle of October.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Black John.....this is the biggest difference I can see:

You: Ontario?!

Me: Northern/ Central Va

I spent boot camp in Great Lakes Il in winter of 93.....82 BELOW with wind chill. I dont think u will ever find my skinny butt that far north again.

I can see 5 cords a winter up there, and u right....no way this little thing works in the North freaking pole......I mean Canada.
Maybe enuff btus for your spring/ summer?
Doug
Old 12-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I can't compare with Canada as far as this discussion?
I grew up with wood fired stoves and heaters and do a lot of backpack camping.
There is not a single log fire left on its own that is going to last more than a few hours without a body stirring it to let it breath and adding more to it even during the middle of the night if it is your main heat source?
Many a time did I get cold in the middle of the night and stirred and stoked a fire.
It's kinda like you keep it going or you start again the next morning.
A warm bodie and blankets help but if anyone remembers the blanket layers and warming pans our ancestors did? It's not a lost art in the world!
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Black John.....this is the biggest difference I can see:

You: Ontario?!

Me: Northern/ Central Va

I spent boot camp in Great Lakes Il in winter of 93.....82 BELOW with wind chill. I dont think u will ever find my skinny butt that far north again.

I can see 5 cords a winter up there, and u right....no way this little thing works in the North freaking pole......I mean Canada.
Maybe enuff btus for your spring/ summer?
Doug
Doug, hope I never live to see 82 below ever, omg! Freeze the nuts off a bridge in that cold!
I absolutely love Virginia except for summer humidity, my weakness anywhere no matter how much beer is on tap.
I'm from Nova Scotia originally so used to winter. Cold is about the same as here, way more snow though..avg about 22 ft every winter due to you guys directing all that moisture this way.
Good luck with your new toy and getting a rig, that shuttle looks mighty fine.

John
Old 12-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Thats the nicest way of saying Americans are full of hot air ive ever heard

Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Thats the nicest way of saying Americans are full of hot air ive ever heard

Doug
My parents home where I grew up in Sandy Hook, Ct. had the septic tank in the middle of the back yard. When it snowed the tank stayed warm enough that there was a 5' x 10' space that stayed green grass. My Dad always said that was proof the we were really hot shite.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I've seen 80 below once in Canada when I was a kid, but that was including the wind chill factor. That is nothing but painful on any exposed skin.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

bought on sale, price change on checkout

just letting you guys know to beware, when i bought this for the Christmas sale it showed it was on sale throughout the entire checkout experience, and after I put my payment info in, it charged me full price without warning.

cannot reach their support, several emails gone unanswered, and it still hasn't shipped yet. hoping they don't scam me.
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

oh! correction! the mistake was mine. it was showing the Canadian price on the last page and i am ordering from America, so paypal used their local price in confirmation. they did get back to me and explain what happened.

I tried to edit or delete my last post but couldn't figure out how. if someone has admin rights as wants to delete both these posts so that it doesn't hurt their reputation out of context on Google that would be cool.
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote