Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Question Custom Awnings

Hey everyone, Hoping this is the correct home for this post since it may be considered cooling ?

Was curious if anyone has undertaken making a custom awning ? I'm trying to design a simple awning system that will extend/retract from the sides of my bus 2-3 yrds max from the very top of my bus.

My land yacht is 32'' long cabin w/o engine, is it feasible to create such a long awning with wind etc ?

Design wise it looks like a pipe within another pipe and a spring/something inside to create tension to wind the fabric and some hydraulic arms/winch/counter weights for control/stability ?

Also do you guys have any recommendations for fabric for water resistance/durability to sunlight ? I'm tempted to buy some used sails and make it from nylon ripstop/dacron.

So has anyone attempted to make an awning for the entire length of your bus ?

djthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
I'm looking for awning solutions too. I'm commenting so I can see responses. Good luck!
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Having going down this road and wasted money in the process previously, why reinvent the wheel? An RV junk yard is about one of the best bets for a usable awning. Don't bother buying an old awning that's been sitting around for a long time. Also you probably will not find a 32' awning, but maybe you could use two awnings.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
We are interested in an awning as well. I think there is a RV junkyard down the road from us.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Bus Geek

That's where I'm going when I'm ready for an awning.

Or you can go farm boy and attach a tarp on the side.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Consider a device similar to what semi dump trailers use and shade your whole bus. That is what I am looking into

Electric Multi-Spring Dump Tarp Kits at Trailer Parts Superstore
Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Bus Geek

That's interesting how it covers lengthwise. I'm sure that could help in the right situation.
I'm going to guess you're not a proponent of solar.

For what you're thinking I'd build a light deck on top to create a heat shield of sorts, kind of like the Land Rover desert trucks use to ward off the sun.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9
I am not using solar in currently. Is there anyway to use solar other than roof top?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Bus Geek

You can set them out in the sun propped up against something, on an extension cord basically.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

I'm not a fan of the side-mount roll-up awnings found on most RVs. The basic ones just aren't that good, and they cost a fortune.

For $300, you can get a nice 10x10 easy-up tent - get the commercial, brand-name one, and it takes one person to set up, and you don't have to duck to walk under it. Make sure it has the straight up and down legs (not the angled ones.) You can set up two (or more) next to each other to make it bigger too.

They make them with solid sides (so you can block whatever side the sun is on), or you can get screen sides - so you can actually sit outside and not get eaten alive by bugs. If the wind or a freak storm comes by and does damage it, you're only out $300 - not $3,000 for a replacement. There's no drilling, tools, or custom installation.

My friend has a big awning on the side of his RV, and in the span of a week and a half, it felt like we were CONSTANTLY running back and forth to the RV to roll it up again before it rained, or high winds came through. We actually missed it once, and it filled up with water. . .we estimated about 150-200lbs of water. When we tried to let it down to drain, it came down with a crash, and bent the bar that the canvas rolls around. It was around $3k for a new awning, with his insurance actually covered - since it was the water, not the wind that actually did the damage.

I /might/ also have a bad habit of leaving his RV, closing the door behind me, and promptly walking into the front support bar of the awning. . . .
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
you can get a 20' awning for about 600 bucks delivered. always leave one side lower in case it rains, a screw in dog tie down on each end will keep the wind from ripping it off. as far as the rest of the bus I plan on making a simple fabric system that just hooks to the bus and is held out a few feet with some small fiberglass rods and a few bungy cords. for me my only heat issue is the remaining glass.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:05 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

This is what I found

https://youtu.be/XsV8CAXNnio
CapN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

awning

Heres a thought... Tarps.com. I haven't bought anything yet but their quality looks good. They come with grommets, and they're not that hard to add. cost is reasonable. If you have a long roof rack/ deck etc we could rig an awning at a very reasonable cost! Also, we'd have a tarp for other uses as well.
Amyg123 is offline   Reply With Quote