Old 04-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

DC Compressor Fridge

This may be a stupid question but I am seeing in these threads the recommendation of DC Compressor fridges. Its my understanding they run on solar and can run with a converter on electrical?

But the bus would have to be running wouldn't it for it to work or does is work without when bus is not running?
Franzirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
As long as the battery bank you are using to run the fridge can maintain it's required charge, either through shore power charger, or solar charging, it will run without the engine needing to be run.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
I have a 24V DC powered refrigerator (Dometic brand). It runs directly off the batteries. As long as the batteries are sufficiently charged, it will keep running. How you charge the batteries is up to you--my primary method is solar, but you could use a generator, shore power (if available), the bus engine, etc...
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
depends...

IF you have group of batteries all connected together, this is called "a battery bank" if you have a battery bank large enough you do not need the engine running to support dc refrigerator.

If you have a battery bank and solar charging system you will not need an engine running.

I will not have solar to begin with, but will have two large engine batteries 8D and I expect to have at least two more very large house batteries. I will run the engine to charge the batteries. My bus is more like a bus than tiny home is on the road often.

willliam
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzirene View Post
This may be a stupid question but I am seeing in these threads the recommendation of DC Compressor fridges. Its my understanding they run on solar and can run with a converter on electrical?

But the bus would have to be running wouldn't it for it to work or does is work without when bus is not running?

No such thing as a stupid question! But there are a few misconceptions here that should be cleared up.

First Up:
Quote:
Its my understanding they run on solar and can run with a converter on electrical

Solar is just a source of electricity, there is no distinction between "runs on solar" / "runs on electrical." Solar is just a source of electricity, like a generator, fossil fuel power plant, or wind turbine, or alternator.

The only distinction you need to make is AC vs DC, and DC is the default for any battery based system. So no converter is needed to run a DC fridge off your vehicles electrical system unless its AC only (which means no batteries only shore or generator power).

In fact its just the opposite, AC appliances require a converter ("inverter") in a battery based electrical system.

Quote:

Nope, either DC or AC fridges will draw from the batteries or can be powered by an external power source if your system is setup that way.

The main advantage of DC fridges in a DC/battery based system is (1) they don't incur the 10-25% efficiency loss of an inverter (2) they are designed mostly for off-grid applications so efficiency is baked into the design (3) DC compressors are variable speed which can be more efficient.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:46 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I have a Unique UGP-120L1 chest style refrigerator/freezer. It’s DC, supposedly 400 Wh/D. We’ll see. So far I’m running it with the 120v wall converter in my kitchen. I am really happy with my purchase.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote