Old 10-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Did I just Screw Myself with My A/C Installation?

I recently installed a window air conditioner. Only after I had installed it, I realized the wind from driving the bus goes against the cooling fan. I sorta forgot about it until I posted my update on my thread and was reminded that this really could be a problem.

What do you guys think? Is it gonna be a serious problem? I won't need it until next June, so I've got time, but I thought about three solutions:

• Install a plate cover that goes over the front grille to disrupt the airflow while driving (perhaps something that covers the sides or top as well to appropriately direct the air). Maybe like a proper vent cover that goes in a house
  • Disassemble the unit, find the positive wire for the fan, reroute that wire to a switch over the driver's seat, where I can turn the fan on or off depending on if I'm driving
  • Worst case scenario, the A/C will only be available when parked (which is still better than now)
I like the second option the most, as I could hook it up to a GPS/Arduino/Relay to automatically turn on/off depending if I'm moving, but I looked up the wiring diagram and it's a little confusing. Any thoughts?

TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
did you verify if that unit is 2 motor? read my last response in your update thread.

1. was your bus really built with no dashboard heater or A/C? no A/C I can understand but not no heater.. or does it just not work..

2. many of those window units use a single motor for both inside and outside fan..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
Bus Geek

worst case you could possibly pull the blade off the outside fan and use an automotive electric fan for the condenser as a pusher.. you will have to also maintain 12 voklts for it when parked as well if you do that.. but it would keep the coils cool... not the best on the compressor since you are then blowing the hot air over the compressor.. but it should still last a while..
Old 10-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
did you verify if that unit is 2 motor? read my last response in your update thread.

1. was your bus really built with no dashboard heater or A/C? no A/C I can understand but not no heater.. or does it just not work..

2. many of those window units use a single motor for both inside and outside fan..

1. I can't remember the exact details, but after I removed the giant air conditioner in the back, I brought it in to an auto a/c repair shop to get the dash air working. They had it for a few days because they struggled to figure it out--the dash air control head was there but there was no wiring behind it, and I'm pretty sure the compressor is installed under the hood (but I'm no mechanic). They ended up quoting me ~$2,100 to get the dash air working again. I can't remember if that included the heater or fan as well, but I just remember telling them nah brah I'm good especially since I bought the bus for $2,500.

2. I haven't tinkered around with it yet, but because of my stupidity, I have the same exact model of A/C sitting in my backyard only without the refrigerant, so I can tinker with that one before I start working on the real one. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

it was a Tie-in system. just put the rear unit back together and your dash air will work too... thats the easiest and works the best..

otherwise screw the shop..

go to the junkyard and pull the lines and condenser from an econoline van, the dash air wiring will still be there likely just have to reconnect it.. you could even poke around a junkyard van for wiring details.. compressor will already be there.. they just likely used an under bus condenser and rear ceiling evaporator..

bolt it up , test it, evac and recharge.. if that bus had rear air then the dashboard already has the evaporator..
Old 10-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Seems like you would want this thing covered when you're driving anyway, to keep bugs and dirt from accumulating in the radiator vanes.

Not to mention that it's ugly as hell.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: In the market
Some people like that rough homemade look...
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I really dont think it looks bad.. after all factory Fishbowl busses were built with what looked like a large window unit above the rear window from the factory...

I just want the OP to have it actually work