Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Disconnecting Ac Compressor Wires

Im looking to move the ac to the front of my bus. The hoses that are connected to the ac compressor on the ac unit run under the chassis and I need to disconnect them in order to get them out from under the chassis and rerouted. When I started removing the copper connector they started making noise like air was coming out so I tightened them back up and am looking on advice on how to do this safely. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
5CB9F941-5885-4027-BAC2-B7854B61F8EB.jpg   B34078C1-47B8-4B95-B53F-161F3FE585ED.jpg  

Mjohnston0729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

Go to a garage and have them remove the Freon. Then take the take hoses of and cover with tape. Move to desired location. Those are not wires it is your high and low pressure lines. Or take it out completely and scrap it. I had a compressor lock up on my bus 300 miles into my trip. Did not use A/c from Florida to Olympic National Forest and back. Even though Death Valley. Do have a window shaker for the hot nights. 13,000 miles windows open. Still have not fixed compressor I might if I ever decide to sell my bus.
Shortbusjohnny65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Those are not wires, they are refrigerant lines. And as the previous poster said, you should have a shop reclaim the refrigerant before disconnecting anything. Personally, I think it's easier to graft a window shaker or wall-mount heat pump in than to do what you're trying to do, but to each their own. DO NOT mount it in the roof cap above the windshield -- you WILL have problems.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #4

Okay I was thinking about removing the whole thing in the first place, but was talked into keeping it and now I’m feeling like taking the whole thing out again since I was planning on moving it onto the front window lmao.... yes I know not wires, but hoses. I edited the post, but forgot to edit the title. I’m not looking to move the vehicle until it is stable and has a supporting structure set up. So now I’m just looking to remove the whole thing.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjohnston0729 View Post
Okay I was thinking about removing the whole thing in the first place, but was talked into keeping it and now I’m feeling like taking the whole thing out again since I was planning on moving it onto the front window lmao.... yes I know not wires, but hoses. I edited the post, but forgot to edit the title. I’m not looking to move the vehicle until it is stable and has a supporting structure set up. So now I’m just looking to remove the whole thing.
You can search this site and find oodles of threads from members who went to remove their A/C units and soon regretted it. Just saying.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #6

Lmao okay I think I could put it on the right side of my bus, but i would still need to disconnect the hoses so that I could make it reach to that side of the bus. I’m confused on what you mean by a window shaker tho or a wall mounted heat pump @cheese wagon
Old 10-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
Traveling

Window shaker - window mount A/C
Wall mount heat pump - sort of like a mini split

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone on this site that recommends touching a factory A/C unit that works.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
DO NOT mount it in the roof cap above the windshield -- you WILL have problems.
What problems? My A/C doesn't work so I was going to move it above the windshield then have it charged. As it is only needed while driving it makes sense to have it up front with the driver and family not 20' back.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:09 AM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
What problems? My A/C doesn't work so I was going to move it above the windshield then have it charged. As it is only needed while driving it makes sense to have it up front with the driver and family not 20' back.
Not with a window-shaker mounted over the windshield. First, there is the issue of creating a quality seal to prevent air and rain from getting around it and inside while driving. Window shakers are also designed to exhaust the condenser coil heat outward through the condenser coil, and mounting them in a roof cap facing inward to blow cool air inside will trap this heat in the condenser coil. Reason being the fan cannot overcome the force of the air rushing against it. This will cause system overheating, which leads to getting overpressurized and ultimately can cause massive failure.

To simplify this for easier understanding, refrigeration systems (air-conditioning is a form of refrigeration) simply remove heat from intake air crossing the evaporator coil and exhaust that heat from the condenser coil. Systems are designed to be operated under certain conditions and in a certain orientation for a reason. More often than not, relocation and orientation changes can cause major problems because heat is not being exhausted properly, if at all.

I'm not saying it can't be done with a window shaker at all. I have seen expedited trucks that mounted a window shaker out the back of the sleeper and ran a quiet generator on the catwalk behind the cab, thus maintaining condenser heat exhaust airflow. But if mounted over the windshield blowing in, you will likely have to modify the unit to compensate for this, removing the factory condenser fan and replacing it with one that blows the opposite direction. Even then, you still have the issue of maintaining a good seal around it to keep the elements out. I explain this in another thread where someone did exactly what I am describing without modifying for the orientation, and had problems, outlined here...

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/d...ion-29149.html