Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2022, 11:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Does Spray Foam Adhere to Kilmat?

I’m getting ready to pull kilmat on my skoolie’s metal walls, in preparation to spray foam the walls soon.

Will the spray foam insulation have any problem adhering to the kilmat surface? If it is problematic, do I need to use foam board over kilmat’d surfaces instead of spray?

Thanks!

jsweet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:51 AM   #2

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: A3RE Full Size
Engine: 8.3L 3000PTS
We just got done spraying our bus this weekend. That stuff seems to stick to just about anything, so I don't see why kilmat would be an issue. May have to spray a light coating on it first so that the weight of the foam doesn't tear it away from the surface, then when cured, go back and add more.

If you haven't done the kilmat yet and plan to do spray foam, you may want to research that particular combination some more. Seems to me that foam over kilmat would have same effect as a little more foam with no kilmat, maybe saving you $$$.

BTW, with spray foam, we found that we got about half the yield that the kit stated (HandiFoam). And yes, we got everything up to temp. We actually had to buy more foam, to finish the job. It took four kits, two size 500 and two size 600 to do a full length bus. So beware, we likely would have saved a lot of $$$ and work if we had it professionally sprayed. YMMV
Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Maybe run down to your local hardware store and grab a can of "Great Stuff" foam so you can test it t on a piece of Killmat before you put it up?
Old 10-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
My experience is that the spray foam will, indeed, stick to it. I wouldn't spend the money to use that along with spray foam, but in buses where customers have applied some of it before I sprayed I found that the foam bonded firmly. And Kilmat (and similar products) stick so aggressively that I wouldn't worry about any delamination issues.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet89 View Post
I’m getting ready to pull kilmat on my skoolie’s metal walls, in preparation to spray foam the walls soon.

Will the spray foam insulation have any problem adhering to the kilmat surface? If it is problematic, do I need to use foam board over kilmat’d surfaces instead of spray?

Thanks!

Check out Chuck Cassidy on YouTube if you haven't already. One of his recent videos talks about Kilmat. The sound vibration deadening properties of the kilmat is nothing compared to spray foam so its basically a waste of money on any surface that is getting spray foamed.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Check out Chuck Cassidy on YouTube if you haven't already. One of his recent videos talks about Kilmat. The sound vibration deadening properties of the kilmat is nothing compared to spray foam so its basically a waste of money on any surface that is getting spray foamed.
This video at the 56 minute mark he talks about the kilmat.

https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
BTW, with spray foam, we found that we got about half the yield that the kit stated (HandiFoam). And yes, we got everything up to temp. We actually had to buy more foam, to finish the job. It took four kits, two size 500 and two size 600 to do a full length bus. So beware, we likely would have saved a lot of $$$ and work if we had it professionally sprayed. YMMV
Spray Foam prices have really climbed in the last 3 years. I was getting quoted of $5k+ to foam a 30 foot bus (650 sq ft) to 3". Ended up getting it done for $2400 , but had to travel and do all masking and trimming myself.

For anyone near the Fort Wayne Indiana area - contact Brave Spray Foam - they have SUPER competitive pricing.
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, kilmat, noise, spray foam, spray foam insulation