Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2022, 07:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins mechanical injection
Dow froth-pak vs tiger foam vs foam it green

I am at the point where I am shopping for spray foam and I have found three brands, Dow froth-pak, tiger foam, and foam it green. Which of these is the best, or are they all the same?

The foam it green is green because the two parts are yellow and blue, so you know it’s mixing properly which seems like a great idea. They also have fast and slow rise foam, the slow rise seems like it’s meant to fill voids like behind the chair rail, and the fast rise is for spraying on the walls and ceiling.

Tiger foam does not have fast and slow rise, and they have two different propellants. One is advertised as the old one and the other is the new environmentally friendly one, which in my experience means it’s not as good as the old one.

It seems like there is only one version of Dow froth-pak. All of these are closed cell.

It looks like I’m leaning towards foam it green. It will be a few weeks before I’m ready to buy, so let me know what you think

Jackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Foam is so expensive and with a learning curve to spray it well. Have you watched many youtube videos of folks doing a poor job or encountering problems? I'm going to get some bids from the pros, think it may be less expensive to have someone with experience and proper equipment handle spraying the foam. Check the r value of each foam, some are better. Good luck!

John
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Jackula, I've not had experience with the Froth-Pak kits...although they seem to be popular. I have, though, used the Tiger Foam kits and have been pleased with them. I've not heard of the Foam It Green kits until you mentioned them, but they look interesting.

I used to use HandiFoam kits and really liked them, but it's hard to find a source for them. HandiFoam also has (or had, anyway) a black foam kit specifically designed for use below the floor (on the bottom of the vehicle)...which I used on an ambulance conversion and it worked really well. Unfortunately, you have to find a distributor for their products and I haven't found one that was really happy about working with small buyers.

So, while the other options all look viable, I'll keep using the Tiger Foam kits. I am going to follow along, though, and keep my options open.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Tiger foam and foam it green are comparable in price and r value (7 per inch) and froth-pak is a bit more expensive and r 6 per inch. I will probably end up going with foam it green because of the ratio indicating color, and I can get slow rise to put behind the chair rail. I think I’ll be able to do my own spray foam, as attention to detail and fast learning are things I’m good at
Old 09-13-2022, 08:57 PM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackula View Post
I think I’ll be able to do my own spray foam, as attention to detail and fast learning are things I’m good at

Nice! I believe you!

Thanks for pointing out the foam it green looked over on their website.
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:12 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
I used foam it green. I worked great in my chair rail. It worked great under my bus although it was the messiest thing I have ever done. (and that’s saying something)

I started having mixing problems. They give you lots of nozzles for when one color or the other clogs up. Under the bus clogged a lot, prob due to upside down spraying.

I got my sides incl. chair rail, and undercarriage and abandoned the foam. My ceiling is filled with foam board.

If I had to do it again I would probably hire somebody. Tho I’m not sure if a company would consider foaming under the bus. It’s a tight space to foam unless you have a lift or a pit to work from.

Just my $.02 worth of experience.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

On my bus I’m going to use foam board on the floor inside. I can’t imagine spraying foam underneath mine, there is so much stuff in the way.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackula View Post
On my bus I’m going to use foam board on the floor inside. I can’t imagine spraying foam underneath mine, there is so much stuff in the way.
Spraying foam beneath the bus is DEFINITELY more work, but sometimes it's worth it to preserve headroom. I'll be doing that on our Crown, since we're not raising the roof and I need to keep every inch of interior height.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:49 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I'll be checking out the tiger foam since it's got a higher R value than the froth packs.
We're also going to investigate a local company that would do the job. Perhaps moving the rig to a site where they are doing a large job and they can hit the bus after that job..... saves them set up and travel which could result in a lower cost to us.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT 3116 (TA185) / AT545
Rated Cap: 78
Not sure if it was said yet, but for me it was cheaper to hire a guy ($1200) vs buying the kit and having just enough to finish ($1400). And I'd have to learn how to prep/spray/not over spray.
BusWanderer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:54 PM   #11

I used foam it green for my sill box's years ago. I found the learning curve just fine, especially since the foam is 2 different colors. Highly recommended!
wiscotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I hired someone to do the bulk of foam in bus and will use a kit (not froth-pack) to touch up some areas that they couldn’t access with the giant hoses from their setup. I’ve used froth packs in the past and don’t seem to get anywhere near the expected coverage despite having two empty tanks.
Bigmikeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I also opted to have a professional do it. I read too many people's accounts of problems or less than ideal results. If you want the have a part in it, have the professionals spray and then you trim it. On second thought don't. I did that and it's a pain in the a**
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:18 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 8 seats, 5 wheelchairs
I used the Froth Pak, they come in a red and a green, the green is mainly for filling gaps and cracks and the red is for actual insulation. I used two red 210 Froth Pak kits, one covered my whole 28' bus about one inch thick as expected and I moved fast and sprayed pretty thin. I thin used the second kit to go over the whole thing and fill in any thin spots and not put as much where it was a little thick on the first coat. I got a pretty even 2" coverage doing it this way and I'm very satisfied with the red Froth Pak.
1dmpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
I also opted to have a professional do it. I read too many people's accounts of problems or less than ideal results. If you want the have a part in it, have the professionals spray and then you trim it. On second thought don't. I did that and it's a pain in the a**
I opted to cut my foam as well. I used an oscillating tool with good success. The foam is tough and the tool needed breaks to cool down. It’s a messy job, but worth the effort
Attached Thumbnails
3294C13F-55C6-411F-B151-153CA0B61F64.jpg  
Bigmikeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I am thinking I could use a hot wire cutter and use the ribs as guides. Probably just do one rib at a time and keep the wire tight so it would cut straight