Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Dual hose portable AC

Hey all, do any of you have experience with dual hose portable AC's? I'm starting to see them come up on Amazon, and they look like a very practical alternative to mini-split systems, especially given the fact that you don't have an external condenser to plumb in and connect.

With the dual hose, it looks like they are going to be more efficient than previous models that only had one duct going outside.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08HZFB5J4/

nelmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #2

We have a GE one in our bus and the temperature outside has been 90ish. We bought the 8500btu one but we also have a 36ft flat nose. We are looking at a 15000btu roof unit.
thegreywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: GM gasoline 8 cyl
Rated Cap: 29
I have the exact model you linked. 14000 BTU Whynter with the heating element. Have not tried the heater yet, but I have to say, the ac works surprisingly well. I was able to cool a 38 ft dog nose in East Texas to 68-70 during 95-plus degree days last summer. I made a panel that fits in the top section of a window with two properly sized holes and mounted the hose connections to it. Mostly I have thought of it as a temporary thing to use while building, but the nice thing is, it can easily be moved to different areas as needed or even removed when not needed. Or it could be semipermanently vented out the side wall and hidden in a cabinet type structure.

As I am currently downsizing to a 5 window van cutaway, I will probably go with a roof ac to save interior space.

Also, I have to mention two more things... it is extremely quiet, even on max setting. The other thing is that in our high humidity area, the condensation reservoir fills up fairly quickly (like a few hours) and must be emptied, or the unit cuts itself off. There is a place where an external drain could be attached so that water would not collect in the reservoir, but drain out the bottom of the bus (or be plumbed to gray tank??).

Overall, though I have been happy with the unit and would consider using permanently in a large bus. Notably, I am able to run on a 15 amp breaker and it has never thrown.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I've been seeing about the same as you. Tiny condensation tank, but that seemed to fill faster when it was in heat mode than in cool mode. The window kit they sent was worthless!

I've been using it while building as well. Pretty comfy, even in a 40' snub nose.
nelmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have one called a Climax. it evaporates its own condensate with the condenser, its an inverter unit so not hard to start on batteries or a generator.. that siad really the only time it can cool my bus nicely as when there isnt sun.. my bus is bone stock interior and non tinted windows.. since the unit is variable speed it is great for sleeping as it quiets right down and pulls less power..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I've got this to tow behind my bus. It is a 5 ton A/C with heat. Two large ducts will go through the rear windows. That should do the trick! LMAO. Of course, I am just kidding. I had a new super high efficiency inverter a/c installed for the house and kept this 6 year old unit. Looks faded from the sun but otherwise works fine. I am thinking of ducting it into the bus while I build it out. Should help on the comfort level but not on the wallet
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6427.jpg  
Old 05-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #7
Bus Geek

which A/C did you install at home? I have been running Zpned Inverter heat pump, A/C (I modified minisplits to work in my northern ducted floor-register house) for 12 years now.. im building a new DaiKin system now just because building HVAC stuff is fun.. you'll love the inverter setup.. it brings a whole new level of comfort!
-Christopher
Old 05-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
We have three mini splits with ceiling cassettes in two wings and one 3 ton for the 1100 sq ft garage. The main portion of the house has a 5 ton roof top unit. That one is a Bosch IDP heat pump inverter. With all the **** going on these days, A/C's can't be had in AZ due to shortages. This one is a new to the market unit which I did research on. It is the only high efficiency residential rooftop unit available and not too many people know about it. House is constant temperature and we keep it at 78º. With no humidity, thats the perfect temperature. We get cold at night!
Old 05-27-2021, 10:05 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Bosch IDS are some of my favorite units. They work fantastic and have a really good reliability rating.. while I’m not in the HVAC business officially any more, friends who are says you install a Bosch and don’t get callbacks except for typical neglect such as dirty filters or grass filled coils (something you don’t deal with using it on the roof)..