Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Electric ac compressor

So my bus came from TX where it’s hot! So it came with two AC units, both function well. I want to use them, but I want to run them off house power without turning the main serpentine belt. I can get a used electric ac compressor from a Prius or other some such big batteried car, for about $200+$100 for coolant. Not sure if that compressor would match my system, or if I would need something bigger. It would need some high voltage (273v for the Prius), wondering if I’d be better off just buying an rv ac unit? Any other suggestions? What do big rig guys use when they want to keep the cab cool without the engine running? Are there bigger electric compressors? Can I rob a compressor from a residential unit?

Tawdbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
real quick response from me.. im a 100% advocate of having 2 A/C systems in a bus.. one for driving and one for being parked..

that Air conditioning system in your bus is likely 10-12 TON.. meaning 120,000 - 144,000 BTU.. thats right.. enough A/C to cool an office building.. a PRIUS compressor is likely .75 TON. .. or 9,000 BTU is common for those..

when you are parked you need much less A/C to keep cool as you dont have a 70 MPH 100 degree freeway wind blowing and sucking at every angle of your bus.. nor do you have a big diesel engoine making heat.. and you can cover up the windshield when parked, etc.. so much less A/C needed for stationary..

install a system for stationary and keep the driving A/C for driving..

or you can get int oa an elaborate system similar to what JoeBlack is doing where he is driving his main bus A/C compressor with a small pony engine dedicated to the A/C.. that takes a lot of fab work and engineering to do it.. but is in my opinion fantastic..

alot depends on your skill level...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote