Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista Shortie
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: A Man and His Dog
FATSCO Tiny Tot it PET Wood Stoves

I have a little bus, but I want to keep it warm in the Vermont winters. Does anyone have experience with FATSCO Wood Stoves? Yay? Nay? Why? On paper, it makes sense for the budget and BTUs.

Also, my 2nd interest is in the Cubic Cub... Thoughts?

BernieMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Those tiny wood stoves are cool looking and everything but you're going to have to be feeding wood into it almost continuously to keep a bus warm in the dead of winter if its your primary source of heat. I found a used pedestal stove for around a hundred bucks that works great. It was -9f here last night and my stove kept my bus at almost 80f all night long stoking it only once in the middle of the night. The fire box on my stove measures roughly 16"x16"x16".
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi Bernie,

I recently made a wood stove from a empty 20 bbq propane tank. I feed it about ever 20 minutes, every 35 45 if i pack it up full, which isnt bad, but it does make me wonder how often the really small stoves need wood. That Fatsco looks decent enough.

Empty propane tank wood stove - Album on Imgur

Above is a link to pictures of my build. I redesigned the front door to two circles cut out in two steel plates, and it dampens by turning one of the circles to close to hole. A bit complicated but it's mine lol

I was inspired by a youtube guy rednic , who among building a screw drive vehicle, also builds propane tank stoves, which he does sell for about $300 usd. Really nice guy. I was about to order one from him and got ants in my pants to try my hand at building one myself. He has a plasma cutter and a welder, lol so his are quite nice.

I sometimes remind myself whatever i decide i can always change my mind

Good luck! Looming forward to seeing which one you try .
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote